Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why more power at part throttle than floored?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,942 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

There isnt a way to recondition/repair them. Used or new is about the only way to go. Used is considered illegal but if you do the work I dont see how it would come back to get you.

#27 Mantonite

Mantonite

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Manton, MI

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

There isnt a way to recondition/repair them. Used or new is about the only way to go. Used is considered illegal but if you do the work I dont see how it would come back to get you.

I was wondering about *ahem* "reconditioning" them to allow better exhaust flow, not necessarily for functionality. Any idears there???

Note: I am in a non-emissions checking area/state.

#28 d-a-g

d-a-g

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Seattle (area)

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

I went thru this with my 82 GL 4WD Wgn - at about 265K. Was running about 12 psi compression in one cylinder. Rebuilt engine, didn't fix it. My shop (Smart Service in north Seattle - Subaru only, all factory trained techs) finally found the problem - fuel filter, but not the plastic one under the hood, there is one somewhere between the tank and pump. Fixed the problem.

Car is now at 305K and going strong. Getting 27mpg mostly highway driving with EA81 engine and 4 spd d/r trans.

#29 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:40 AM

If you have a welder, I would suggest buying a universal high-flow cat, get some piping made and weld that sucker in place.

#30 Log1call

Log1call

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:25 AM

The knock sensor kicking in and causing the timing to be retarded can cause that. Depends how much power it has to start and how much power it looses that will really tell you, there is no substitute for experiance. If the drop off in power is not too dramatic you could try additive to raise the octane rating or disconnect the knock sensor from the block but leave it connected to the wire and try it but be carefull not to let the motor, "pink". You need to tape the sensor up out of the way of being knocked while you go for your test drive.

#31 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:59 PM

SPFI Loyales dont have knock sensors. Only MPFI Turbo's and N/A MPFI XT's

-Brian

#32 Allouez

Allouez

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Central

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

The post about the "other" fuel filter (near the gas tank) is a good one. I'm having a very similar prob. w/my 83 wagon, and have replaced nearly everything that it might be and have yet to solve it, though the cat. is up for surgery this coming week. Mine acts as though the choke isn't opening properly, but it does. If I solve my prob., I'll be sure to post it. Definately check that other filter if yours has one. My father always said: "Check the cheep stuff first".

Thanks all for the great posts. I'm learning a lot!

#33 Mantonite

Mantonite

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Manton, MI

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:49 PM

FIXED!!! :headbang::clap::D

Got a TPS from a low(er) mileage Loyale, swapped it out and now I have throttle response! It took a little more than I expected to get the old one out (just two screws and a connector, right?) but it was worth it. Hopefully I'll even get better gas mileage out of the deal. We shall see...

Anyone rebuild old TPSs? If not, I'll tear into this one to see if it can be done/if I can spot the problem.

Thanks for all the help!!! Let me know if you want more details.

#34 D-Cal

D-Cal

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Edmonton

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

Could be a failing fuel pump. It can't deliver the volume the car demands at WOT and starts leaning out costing power.

Tie in a fuel pressure gauge and zip-tie it somewhere on the windshield that you can see from the drivers seat. Note the fuel pressure under WOT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users