Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Was driving around a corner and the tranny grabbed/banged hard as it shifted from 1 to 2nd. I know this will get worse, because I drove a different car two days ago and it was worse...same thing but on all turns, bangs when accelerating. I know where this one is headed...down hill fast. Any thoughts? PLEASE NEED HELP VERY BADLY!!!!! May resell the car next week! MAY HAVE SCREWED UP REALLY BAD ON THIS ONE!

The 96 legacy I just bought at seems to have a lot of rolling resistance. I put it in neutral, let it roll down a hill, straight, turning, doesn't matter, still there. Shut the engine off, in neutral, still there! could it still be in the transmission?

bang on the 1-2 upshift all the time?

Can you feel it in the pedals, in the steering wheel. or on the floor. Rolling resistance doesnt mean much.. that could be anything (low air in tires, rusty rotors, stuck caliper). How does the car drive otherwise? how does it shift otherwise? How does it drive when manually shifted. How many miles are on it.

nipper

93K on the car. Shifts fine straight, but definately bangs when upshifting when going around right angle turns. Talked to the dealer...they say the fix is expensive, problem with the differential binding or something. Tranny job. Noticed this in another 96 with only 113K miles too. Think the 96 trannies are crap.

I drive that 113k '96 everyday. Banging transmission? A bang is a sound, isn't it? It doesn't make a sound. That's why no one on the board knows anything about "banging" because it isn't happening. The upshift is a little harsh - so what?

So, when you re-sell the one you bought from the rip-off dealer, you can still come back and buy mine for over $1000 less. At least I told you the truth about my car.

Jason

I hear you Jason. I definately made the wrong choice on this one. Now have to decide what to do next. Not pretty. Already lost $250 in tags/title..plus now have to sell the darn thing...more money for the ad. Its not good.

rolling resistance may be part of slightly stiff steering issue, which someone posted on a month ago...need to recheck that post.