Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '78 is running! Now for some "Aftermarket" Questions...(exhaust, fan, tach, etc.)

YES, got the motor back into my '78 4x4 EA71 Wagon after a year of it just sitting there... And its running good now :) Fixed all its little problems and leaks, but it idles much better now (it had a striped spark plug hole before that caused it to idle way high and hense not pass smog).

Anyway, I have a few ideas about what I want to do after I finish with the body work... (still alot to do on that front)

I definatly need an aftermarket Tachometer. I have a left over 50mm mount I was going to use for a turbo gauge a long long time ago, and was wondering if anyone knew of a good, cheap tach that would work. Also, some tips with the install...

Since I actually took out my A/C along with the belt-powered fan on the EA71, I was wondering which type of electrical fan I could put in its place... Theres not alot of room, maybe 2" deep, and I wouldnt mind paying for a new one but a junkyard tip might help too. I could also use an idea or two about how to wire it up maybe with a switch or something so I can manually turn it on/off.

I also had a GREAT idea for my exhaust! I'm going to have to have the entire exhaust re-done because of rust, so I figure ill use 2" piping for most of it, but for the exhaust tips I was thinking... Since I took of my rear bumper, should I use the rear bumper holes and split the rear pipes into two sections and run them through the holes? That would be really nifty I think and clean up the look of the back of the car along with give a little more ground clearance :) Has anyone done this?

Also, I had a wierd looking spoiler that came with the car... Looked like aluminum window mounting, really horrible. So I was wondering if anyone has used some sort of fiberglass or OEM spoiler kinda like the Foresters and Outback wagons have on the top of their lift gates. I think that would be a nice, simple addition. Has anyone done this either?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help I can get...

A answer to your fan question: On my 78 Brat which is the same engine compartment as yours I put 2 EA 82 fans in there. One from a 88 Xt and one from a 87 GL10 wagon. Both the same fan though.I wired one up to run off the accesory and I put the second one off a constant hot and put that to a toggle switch in the dash just in case it starts to get hot when I am going off road. It might be a little overkill but I had the extra fans laying around and it turned out great. The only thing I had to do on one of the fans was cout a notch to clear the water pump. But man! Do those fans pull some air!

This new Historic forum sucks, all the people from the other forums doesnt seem to get here...

ANYWAY, I was just looking at a 02+ wagon, and I was wondering if that spoiler would work... it has small contact patches on the side, and i measured the width and its about the same. The connection area though seems like its too big but I'm not sure. Anyone try it?

• 2 weeks later...

Kosta,

All the aftermarket tachs I have wired have three wire

(four if you count the internal light)

One wire (red?) goes to a switched with the ignition battery voltage

One wire to ground (black)

and one wire (yellow) to the negative side of the coil.

I have used this on older Subarus.

Hope this helps

Kosta,

All the aftermarket tachs I have wired have three wire

(four if you count the internal light)

One wire (red?) goes to a switched with the ignition battery voltage

One wire to ground (black)

and one wire (yellow) to the negative side of the coil.

I have used this on older Subarus.

Hope this helps

Ya, I have all the diagrams for that, but I dont know specifically how I need to connect the wire to the ignition, IE what connectors to use, where to disconnect it at, etc. I dont have any wiring experience its the one area I have Zero training in...

For all three connections

red to the coil positive

yellow to the coil negative

black to the coil bracket mounting bolt.

the simplest way is to strip about 0.75 inch of insulation off the wire you want to connect to something

then loosen the nut wrap the bare wire around the post and tighten the nut.

Just a quick note on that tach...if you do install it and it reads well into the 4 grand range in 4th during freeway cruising---remove the tach or stick to backroads. Knowing how fast my engine was going all the way from Atlanta to Hartford, CT would have scared the living daylights out of me, that's why I'll never have one.