Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks for the answers to my paint question last night, I didn't know that a site like this existed, this is great!

I have a 1997 Legacy Outback, just turned 100k miles. I've tried to maintain it as best I can, other than a fair collection of dings and scratches on the paint and some interior wear & tear, it runs well. Just put four very expensive Michelin tires on it!

I had to have the head gasket replaced at 75k miles, and at that time they also replaced the timing belt.

Anyway, I'd like increase the amount of preventive/necessary maintenance on it that I do myself (I've never had a car go over 200k miles, I don't see why this one can't.) I am handy with tools, more home repair than cars, but am willing to tackle anything that in the opinion of the more experienced experts on this board a DYI'er can safely accomplish.

My Question: Can I get a pretty complete list of things to do/replace/check/etc. that an amateur like me could handle? If this has already been addressed in another post, a link to that post would be fine. Thanks again!

It's nice to see a positive attitude. Wish I tackled home repairs like that. Anyhow, if you go to mysubaru.com you can look up your car and get the maintenance list of what to do around your mileage. I had a 97 Outback, and one thing I would do right away is have the dealer adjust the valves. They are actually non adjustable, they have to be shimmed. I didn't want to spend the 900 bucks for it, and the CEL came on stating misfire cyl. #4. Well I did everything as it was running rough and popping from the tailpipe. The exhaust valve burnt and it needed a new valve, so naturally, you do all 4 with the heads off. Other than that, timing belt is a must, but you've had that done already , so do a drain and fill on all fluids. Good luck. You can always do a search on this board, it is amazing all the old posts you can find.

Welcome aboard, DIY'ers are what we like here!

Off hand: Engine oil, coolant, transmission and diff oils. Filters for air, fuel and engine oil.

Spark plugs, PCV valve and hoses.

Search on those as key words and I think you'll have plenty to read up on :-)

oldberkeley,

Add these easy jobs to your list. There are no specialized tools to buy, but you will need some antiseize compound for bolt threads and pad slider channels in the calipers, silicone grease for slider pins, spray on brake cleaner, and the correct DOT brake fluid. Here in Southern Ontario, Canada, we use a lot of salt on our roads in winter, and it takes its toll. Twice a year I remove the pads, calipers, rotors and rear parking brake shoes, clean and lubricate all parts, and rotate my tires at the same time. This way I am on top of brake pad wear limits, and tire wear. Every 3 years I replace and bleed the entire braking system with new fluid, as well as flush and refill the cooling system with new antifreeze. There is lots of help on procedures in the archives, and lots of "feeling good that I did it myself". Good luck!