Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible Christmas Present for my son.

I got to thinking the other day about what I can get my son for Christmas, then it occured to me. The seats in his 84 GL need a facelift........I.E new seat covers so being the poor but loving father that I am........I got to thinking about either buying a set of seat covers or making them. Making them would probably be the cheapest route but with my imagination it starts running into money quickly.

This is what I wanna do....I wanna sew up a set of seat covers out of black and blue fabric with silver accents to match the current interior, and while i have the seats uncovered take some hi impact foam and carve them like the high dollar sports seats I see in jegs or summit catalogs (side hip and shoulder bolsters, lumbar support; non adjustable etc.) and make a set of covers for the backseats as well.

So tell me, am I just dreaming here, wanting to give him something beyond my means or can I do this at a low cost? Theres no upholstery shops here in kimball as well as no arts and crafts stores.....nearest one is in Cheyenne which is about an hour away and with the price of gas it might as well be 100 miles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, of course, you can always mail order the foam and cloth you'll need. However, there's a LOT of work involved in what you want to do. An easier, and perhaps less expensive route, might be to go to your local wrecking yard and get a nicer set of seats. Honda Preludes, Volkswagen GTi's, Saturn SC2's, some Honda Civic's, and Toyota Celicas have nice seats in them. Bet you could score a set for a reasonable price out of a wrecking yard, seeing as the ricer kids all want Sparcos and whatnot. From there it would be a (relatively) straightforward task of changing the slider rails on the bottom.