Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing an airbag from a 1993 Legacy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paulbellefeuille

paulbellefeuille

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Kingston NH

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:00 PM

I have a 93 Legacy parts car and want to remove the airbag from the steering wheel.. I've disconnected the battery and the yellow connector from the unit under the ashtray..now what?

#2 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:57 PM

Should be some bolts attached through the back of the steering wheel, probably need a stubby screwdriver (Don'yt know what head, I know GM likes to use Torx on some of their air bags..) but it should be bolted on from the back.. PRolly 3 or 4 of them, just look behind the wheel for some holes..

Once you get that mutha out you can do one of two things:
1) Stick it face up in a tire and connect a 9 volt battery (FROM A DISTANCE!) to the connector on the back and watch it go boom. Be glad you weren't in the car when it went off. Drink a beer.

2) Sell it on ebay

3) If it's already gone off, the bags are quite sturdy and work great for carying parts, etc.. once you get the white powder off..

#3 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:02 AM

Right on, I set one off with a 12v lead acid and it launched straight up a solid 30 ft in the air.

#4 paulbellefeuille

paulbellefeuille

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Kingston NH

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:09 AM

Thanks my Subaru Brother..I'll opt. for the 2nd choice on the list.

Should be some bolts attached through the back of the steering wheel, probably need a stubby screwdriver (Don'yt know what head, I know GM likes to use Torx on some of their air bags..) but it should be bolted on from the back.. PRolly 3 or 4 of them, just look behind the wheel for some holes..

Once you get that mutha out you can do one of two things:
1) Stick it face up in a tire and connect a 9 volt battery (FROM A DISTANCE!) to the connector on the back and watch it go boom. Be glad you weren't in the car when it went off. Drink a beer.

2) Sell it on ebay

3) If it's already gone off, the bags are quite sturdy and work great for carying parts, etc.. once you get the white powder off..

#5 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:13 PM

yeah, an air bag module goes for like 500-1500 bucks from the dealer, so you should be able to get sumpin decent for it on ebay..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users