Ultimate Subaru Message Board

soobie died,need help !!!!

well pulled the middle cover off today,and we figured out what happened,the drv.side tensioner pulley froze up,whats the easiest way to get it off,and whats chances of them having one at napa.

My NAPA, maybe. NAPA in Anna/Versailles area... I dunno.

i found it on napaonline.com $51.49 does it sound about right...

It is probably about right. But, you can get them for half the cost from other online sources, such as "The Parts Bin"

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1988&make=SU&model=LOY-4WDT-001&category=All&part=Timing+Belt+Tensioner

Its possible that other local sources may carry it, too. Maybe Autozone?

Regarding Versailles (which you folks really should learn how to pronounce correctly :grin: ), I guess Jim hasn't told you about the time I spent in his neck of the woods. A Grand Adventure...

no as a matter of fact he didnt tell me,and exactly how is versailles supposed tobe pronounced,after winning 7 state h.s. football titles they figure they can pronounce it anyway they want lol,i told him you were posting in the thread and he didnt say a word about you being out here in the sticks.were gonna try the one jim has from the xt-4 1st,jims never taken one out before and neither have i,is there anything special i should know about the tension spring.

no as a matter of fact he didnt tell me,and exactly how is versailles supposed tobe pronounced,after winning 7 state h.s. football titles they figure they can pronounce it anyway they want lol...

Well, they could pronounce it like the original Versailles in France... you know, the one Marie Antoinette (please don't mispronounce her name, too! lol) hung around while she still had her head? But, it doesn't stop there: Madrid, Cairo, at least one other that I forget... But then, we do our own bad pronounciations, such as Medina. And I won't even get started on our Anglicized Native American names here!

...were gonna try the one jim has from the xt-4 1st,jims never taken one out before and neither have i,is there anything special i should know about the tension spring.

Nope, pretty easy. You (or Jim) might want to consider getting a set of tensioners online for "the next time". $50-something bucks to prevent a t-belt job is cheap insurance.

BTW, Jim probably didn't mention me out of humility, as he and his family did much to make my cross-country trip (and back!) bearable. They made me at home going both directions. Great folks; reminded me of what Middle-America is supposed to be like. :)

well got the belts done today,wasnt to bad,i left the covers off so i can

keep an eye on them for a bit.jim had a tensioner on his xt-4 with the blown headgasket,put everything back together and adjusted the timing to 20 degrees above center and waalaa ,im done lol,thanx for all the help guys,and jim even learned how to do it without removing the radiator and without pulling the engine,im a firm believer,that if it cant be dont on the side of the road,its not worth doing lol,besides they dont have engine hoists along the road every 1000

feet. lol thanx again guys you rock.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have a similar problem I think. My sons 84 died on him yesterday at the local park and wouldn't restart again. Well we both agreed that the cat might be the problem after consulting a couple of local mechanics (good friends one lives down the road and the other lives across town). SO today i went and removed the headers from the engine after about 15 minutes I had them off, went to start the car and..................nothing. No oil presure, no nothing, the engine tried to catch but kept spinning over. I havent checked the distributor yet but considering the way the engine is acting.im not getting any spark. this leads to my question, on an EA81 engine......1.)where are the timing belts located? 2.) WOuld a broken timing belt cause the oil guage to read zero? 3.) Was my original thought correct? We are going to be cutting out the cat anyways. Thanks for any help in advance.

You should start a new thread on this problem.

If you haven't confirmed that you don't have spark then I would check that first. Frankly, I would not not suspect the CAT as the problem until I check other things. Check to see if the rotor in the disty is spinning as you crank it. If it isn't turning then a timing belt is broken. They in front of the engine under the plastic covers.

If the belts are ok I would make sure voltage is getting to the coil and to the other side of the coil. Since you say that the engine tried to start it sounds like one of the T-belts is broken.