Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm a long time lurker here. I have a '97 OB auto with 100K miles and a '01 Forester L auto with 35K miles. I just had the heater core replaced on the OB. The mechanic said it was related to the extended life coolant I was using. He also said he had not seen any head gasket problems. Not many Subarus here in Huntsville, AL. He is the only Sube mechanic at the dealer. No other problems with either car at this point.

Dave

Dave, If your car has traditional glycol antifreeze, then this is what you should replace it with. The newer "orange" antifreeze found in mopars, gm's etc. Will do Damage to older systems. Seems the materials used, especially on the radiators and heaters to attach the hose fittings gets eroded by a mild acid contained in the newer extended life antifreeze. I have seen 3 cars to date where the change was made, and shortly afterward there were leaks, at the most unlikey places.

My own advise to those I help service and keep running, if it's Glycol, stay with it and do the 2 yr/30K replacement. It's worth the preventative maintanence in the long run.

• 5 years later...
Dave, If your car has traditional glycol antifreeze, then this is what you should replace it with. The newer "orange" antifreeze found in mopars, gm's etc. Will do Damage to older systems. Seems the materials used, especially on the radiators and heaters to attach the hose fittings gets eroded by a mild acid contained in the newer extended life antifreeze. I have seen 3 cars to date where the change was made, and shortly afterward there were leaks, at the most unlikey places.

My own advise to those I help service and keep running, if it's Glycol, stay with it and do the 2 yr/30K replacement. It's worth the preventative maintanence in the long run.

Hell the orange stuff even causes problems in the Gm's and dodges! That stuff is junk and I would never use it, I've seen way to many problems caused by it!