Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heater Core Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Albamadave

Albamadave

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Toney, AL

Posted 20 September 2003 - 08:26 AM

I'm a long time lurker here. I have a '97 OB auto with 100K miles and a '01 Forester L auto with 35K miles. I just had the heater core replaced on the OB. The mechanic said it was related to the extended life coolant I was using. He also said he had not seen any head gasket problems. Not many Subarus here in Huntsville, AL. He is the only Sube mechanic at the dealer. No other problems with either car at this point.

Dave

#2 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 20 September 2003 - 10:28 AM

Dave, If your car has traditional glycol antifreeze, then this is what you should replace it with. The newer "orange" antifreeze found in mopars, gm's etc. Will do Damage to older systems. Seems the materials used, especially on the radiators and heaters to attach the hose fittings gets eroded by a mild acid contained in the newer extended life antifreeze. I have seen 3 cars to date where the change was made, and shortly afterward there were leaks, at the most unlikey places.
My own advise to those I help service and keep running, if it's Glycol, stay with it and do the 2 yr/30K replacement. It's worth the preventative maintanence in the long run.

#3 Albamadave

Albamadave

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Toney, AL

Posted 21 September 2003 - 06:59 AM

Thanks Ferret, that is what I plan to do. I just wondered if anyone else had, of knew of a similar experience.

Dave

#4 hippyatheart

hippyatheart

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

I have a small lake in the passenger floorboard in my '98 OBW 203K 2.5 auto, goin to the u-pull it to get a whole new core and box etc since i have to yank out the entire dash to get to it. Hope it lasts, but $10 compared to $175 i'll take my chances...

Peace

#5 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

Dave, If your car has traditional glycol antifreeze, then this is what you should replace it with. The newer "orange" antifreeze found in mopars, gm's etc. Will do Damage to older systems. Seems the materials used, especially on the radiators and heaters to attach the hose fittings gets eroded by a mild acid contained in the newer extended life antifreeze. I have seen 3 cars to date where the change was made, and shortly afterward there were leaks, at the most unlikey places.
My own advise to those I help service and keep running, if it's Glycol, stay with it and do the 2 yr/30K replacement. It's worth the preventative maintanence in the long run.

Hell the orange stuff even causes problems in the Gm's and dodges! That stuff is junk and I would never use it, I've seen way to many problems caused by it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users