Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at new cars, Outback or Impala...

Ok, I have a child on the way and we are shopping for cars. Pretty much it is going to be a Chevy Impala or an Outback. We looked at some Outbacks today and really like them, plus they have some nice savings right now.

Here are the cars we are looking at:

Impala LS 3800 V6 20city/30hwy MPG

Outback 2.5i 22cty/30hwy MPG

Benefits:

Impala:

-very roomy(I am a tall guy)

-better gas mileage

-more horsepower

Outback:

-AWD

-open rear end

-more options for base package

-sport shifter(i love manuals, but the wife doesnt)

Drawbacks:

Impala:

-only front wheel drive

-less cargo room

-larger car

Outback:

-costs more

-tighter seating in the rear seats

Now, I dont know to much about Outbacks, so I was wondering if people could fill me in.

Is it expensive to repair?

Do they hold value well(used seems to be fairly high priced)?

Do they break down often(my Nissan has not broken at all since 2001 when I got it)?

How do they handle in the winter? We can get nasty snow in Michigan.

Any info would really be helpful. My wife and I are bonking our heads between the two cars.

Also, for price, we have the following break down for an Outback right now:

$26,161 MSRP

-$2,294 05 Closeout

-$1,500 Cash back

After tax, title, etc etc, we are looking at about $24,002 out the door. Is this a pretty good deal?

Also, if anyone is interested in a 2001 Nissan Frontier, CONTACT ME!!!! :brow:

Both my wife and I LOVE our Outback...

We've had a Corsica (close to Impala), and that thing was in the shop more times than we can count... I doubt that Chevy has gotten much better in their reliability aspect since we had the 95... and the 97 Cavalier we bought as a replacement on the Corsica...

We got the OBW in 2001, new. It's only been in for 3 items of repair since. Alternator @ ~60k, Pass side axle seal @ ~72k and Pass side wheel bearing @ ~79k. Other than 2 set of tires, a set of brakes and all the dealer recommended PM stuff that's it. As you can see above, we frequently changed cars, but since we've had this OBW we've got no plans to get anything else. It's by far the best car we've had...

As far as the winter driving... Can't beat it. The AWD is phenominal... Surely beat ANY front wheel drive car we've driven. I know some folks go all out and get winter tires, We've only had the "normal" tire on it for winter and NEVER been stuck or even spun out..

My vote is for the Outback... Thanks for letting me give my 2 cents worth...

Keep in touch on your decision...

Go for the Outback.

Personally, I've never owned the Outback, but I love my Imprezas. You can't beat AWD! (said while passing snow plow on highway) :brow:

My '96 AWD Impreza does require snow/ice tires in the winter, but it's well worth it. (I had a bad experience similar to ice skating with the normal all season radials.) The thing will stick to the road like a snowmobile with snow/ice tires though.:)

Now about AWD always beating FWD, that depends. I have a '93 Impreza FWD as well. Put studded snow/ice tires on it and personally, I think it sticks to the road just about as good as the '96 AWD. But that's probably because its a Subaru.:D Plus, studded snow tires are not legal in some states, so thats not really fair. The rule of thumb, though, is that AWD is better.

Regarding gas mileage - Subarus do NOT get great gas mileage. Thats a trade off for their long engine life and AWD. The AWD adds weight, which hurts mileage. It also seems to me that the Subaru engines are tuned to run richer than most engines for longer life, rather than more lean for max mpgs. It may just be the boxer design itself. I really don't know for sure. Just remember that it will get mpgs similar to a V6. Personally, I think its a good trade off though. Subarus are quite peppy and have a fairly impressive amount of umph for a 4 cyl. anyway.

Regarding their value -Subarus DO hold their value well MUCH longer than an Impala, mostly because they are AWD.

Regarding breaking down - It's not often that my Imprezas ever break down. Actually, for the time I've owned them, ('93 for 1 1/2 years / '96 for almost a year now) they have never actually broken down. -crosses fingers-

The '96 threw a few Check Engine Lights, but that was the fault of the previous owner. It turns out they never had throttle body cleaned, which caused it to run lean and misfire. But I digress.

I assume that the Outbacks are similarly reliable. But...I kow the 2.5 engines used to have headgasket issues. I don't know about the new ones though.

If anyone knows about the headgasket issues 2.5 engines, pleae let mtmra70 know.

Regarding repair expense - I can't really help you much there since I've never really had to repair anything major yet, although I don't think it's much more than most domestic cars.

I really don't know if the price you are getting is a good deal or not. I haven't bought a brand new car in.......hmmm......I forget.:-\ (My motto: Why buy new when if you keep a car long enough it will eventually be new again anyway.) :brow: Actually that doesn't apply to Subarus very well, though. It worked VERY well with my old Crapalier -oops.... did I say Crapalier....I meant Cavalier- I had to replace so many parts there were more new parts than there were orginal ones.

To sum up, I would absolutely go for the Outback, or any Subaru for that matter, over an Impala.

Thats just my 2 cents.

The other more experienced New Generation Subaru owners can probably help you with your questions more. I have only owned my Subarus for a year and a half now, not counting an old Brat I had years ago. It was eventually dissolved by the SRV -Subaru Rust Virus-.:rolleyes:

(A gust of wind comes through and the Brat collapses into a pile of dust on the ground, kinda like the B9 Tribeca ad.):rolleyes:

Don't worry. New Subes are immune to the SRV.:)

Good luck! And keep us updated about your decision.

~Edit~ I did a search for the head gasket issues on the new 2.5 engines. No one really seems to agree if it has been fixed or not. Check out this thread for yourself. Has the Head Gasket Probelm Been Fixed?

subiefan

1993 Impreza FWD - 184k and steadily advancing to 200k:)

1996 Impreza AWD - 84k

I sell cars... working with used cars (I sell new kias and all used cars)

I have found that.... Impalas arent worth ANYTHING after they hit 36000 miles because the warranty is over.

Subarus have a longer warranty... and are just better built... they hold value MUCH better. A subaru with 60K is probably worth more than the impala with 30 K :lol:

I got to drive an impala on a test drive... hated it... big boat of a car that felt totally unrefined and years behind in technology and quality. Even Kia's seem better built :rolleyes:

Your mileage quote... I read it as the outback haveing better milage.... 22 versus 20?

Outbacks get worse gas mialage then a car, because they are heavier, the awd system is always on, and fatter tires. That said outbacks should be compared to small suvs. When that comaprison is done they get beter milage. I had a ford escape for 3 weeks, no matter what i did i got 13mpgaround town. my 97 outback with 178k on it (original tranny and engine and cyl head gaskets) gets 20 in stop and go with the ac on. I personally found that all my subarus get better highway milage then what they are rated for (that may be me, and I do have a lead foot).

Subarus in general are the most bought vehical with high milage on them used. They have a great reputation as a total car to last for ever. The only annoying thing is the stupid little switch bulbs burn out, otherwise everything seems to work on them right to the very end.

One thing I have noticed on this board, is very few AC failures, and thats always been a bane for GM. Also SUbarys have more head room and better visability.

GM's in general have very poor resale value. If you look at the numbers, GM America, if it wsnt for all of GM's businesses, would have gone belly up this year. Gm blames Health insurance costs, but thats only a small part of it. Mostly they sell junk, that is bland an uninspired. SUbaru sells everything they make without being forced to gimmicks. Right there that should say something.

Good Luck

nipper

Guest Vickaroo

Go for the Subaru!!!!! The AWD is so worth it... And yes they hold their vaule.... We just bought one about a month ago...(used) after looking the used ones at the low end ran 6000.00 so I say go for the Outback. I really beleive you and your wife will be so much happier with it.... Vicky

I just ran those numbers against a Consumer Report Price report and they look very good at the bottom line for a 2005 Outback 2.5i (model 5DA).

I think you will love the car. I bought a 2004 3.0H6 wagon 18 months ago and the interior and overall quality is outstanding.

Go for it!

well it's a subaru board but i vote for the subaru all the way.

if you want alot of miles out of the car then go with the subaru.

if you want good resale/trade in then go with subaru. the AWD is awesome and i haven't bought anything but AWD since i got my first one over 10 years ago. i had FWD always before that.

subaru's are high priced but will last to make up the difference.

just in case you're not familiar with subaru's at all here are two issues that incur some cost but are worth it. be sure to replace the timing belt whenever it's supposed to be replaced, 60,000 - 100,000 miles (if not sooner than recommended). the chevy may have a timing chain which for most purposes never need to be replaces, but it might have a belt as well i'm not sure. belts are quieter, smoother and offer better gas mileage thats why they are common. you will also want to maintain the tires. rotate them and keep the treads/wear similar between all four. mismatching tires is bad for almost all AWD drive or full-time 4WD transmissions and you don't want to be replacing one of those.

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful.

When you say the Outback doesnt get great MPG, are you just saying compared to a car or is it getting worse MPG then what the sticker says?

The AWD is great and the sport shifting and other little bonus' are nice.

The warrantys are the same for both vehicles - 3year/36k mi bumper to bumper - 6 year/60k mi power train.

The value thing is very understandable, but the initial cost is higher on the Outback. I can get an Impala for about $5000 less(apples to apples) and two of the Impala dealers have offered more for my trade-in then the Subaru dealer. And the Impala has more leg room(I am 6'2").

At this point I am looking for something that is a concrete good or bad. Both vehicles are equal with their plus' and minus'.

Ugh, such a hard choice.

Please keep bringing in any info. The headgasket issue was a great concern, but I think is a low concern. Any other Subaru problems?

just in case you're not familiar with subaru's at all here are two issues that incur some cost but are worth it. be sure to replace the timing belt whenever it's supposed to be replaced, 60,000 - 100,000 miles (if not sooner than recommended). the chevy may have a timing chain which for most purposes never need to be replaces, but it might have a belt as well i'm not sure. belts are quieter, smoother and offer better gas mileage thats why they are common.

Thank you for bringing up this concern!! How burried is the belt? I know some vehicles you have to tear apart the whole engine to get to the belt...lol

they are speaking of the gas mileages listed on the stickers. being 4 cylinders, they don't get outstanding gas mileage. but there are reasons for that. well buillt, safe and AWD will effect gas mileage.

the subaru belt is much easier to deal with than most cars because it's right on the front of the motor. but a timing belt is almost always "burried" by most definitions because it's not something a typical person replaces. i have done lots of timing belt jobs but this is not maintenance normally done at home. it's not the belt you can see, it's under the timing covers and probably burried by your definition. i wouldn't consider it burried unless it's internal to the motor block, but i work on lots of stuff.

the chevy could very well have a timing belt as well.....if so, the timing belt on the impala would be much harder to replace than the subaru. front wheel drive non-subaru timing belts suck to replace. subaru's have a flat-4 layout which few other companies have, and they are much easier to work on than most cars of similar year and complexity. but don't expect any savings in labor costs, the shops are still going to make their loot. i can change my timing belts in two hours or less. my friends honda's and fords...HA!!! no way, i like helping my friends but HATE working on their timing belts.

Guest Vickaroo

two of the Impala dealers have offered more for my trade-in then the Subaru dealer.

Thats because the Subaru dealers know a good product and dont have to cut the price of a good product to sell it... You know the old saying "You get what you pay for!":brow: Vicky

Thats because the Subaru dealers know a good product and dont have to cut the price of a good product to sell it... You know the old saying "You get what you pay for!":brow: Vicky

True, but in my case, I cant get a good product unless I get a good price on my current vehicle.

Posted my truck on auto trader....hopefully someone bites so I can get a good price and get the Outback :)

I can get an Impala for about $5000 less(apples to apples)

Are you really comparing "apples to apples?"

and two of the Impala dealers have offered more for my trade-in then the Subaru dealer.

Remember, that's not real dollars. It's simply a further devaluation of their product to try to make a sale. But you have hit on the best solution--if you can sell your truck for decent cash you'll come out ahead.

Both vehicles are equal with their plus' and minus'.

Equal? Probably not. But only you can make the decision.

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful.

When you say the Outback doesnt get great MPG, are you just saying compared to a car or is it getting worse MPG then what the sticker says?

The AWD is great and the sport shifting and other little bonus' are nice.

The warrantys are the same for both vehicles - 3year/36k mi bumper to bumper - 6 year/60k mi power train.

The value thing is very understandable, but the initial cost is higher on the Outback. I can get an Impala for about $5000 less(apples to apples) and two of the Impala dealers have offered more for my trade-in then the Subaru dealer. And the Impala has more leg room(I am 6'2").

At this point I am looking for something that is a concrete good or bad. Both vehicles are equal with their plus' and minus'.

Ugh, such a hard choice.

Please keep bringing in any info. The headgasket issue was a great concern, but I think is a low concern. Any other Subaru problems?

Subarus do not get great gas mileage compared to other 4 cyl. vehicles due to their weight and engine design. But this is made up for with their overall long life, reliability, and AWD. I would expect gas mileage similar to a V6 like the Impala. The two cars are about equal in this area. Like others though, I seem to actually get slighlty better mileage than what my Subaru is rated for.

That is odd about the warranty though. New Subarus usually have very good warranties.

I do not own an Outback, but I did drive one once. I actually thought it was quite roomy in the leg room department. But I'm not very tall, so that is your decision to make.

I would not be too concerned about head gasket issues. Those seem to have been pretty much resolved by Subaru. Compared to an older 2.5 engine, you have very little to worry about.

I hope you get a good deal out of your truck. The Subaru is definately worth the extra money over the Impala. If you treat a Subaru well, it tends to last practically forever mechanically, and you have the added bonus of AWD and, as you said, the sport shift and other goodies. Even though the cost to buy the Subaru may be more than the Impala, the total cost of owning a Subaru will most likely be less do to their reliability and long life (no need to buy a new car soon).

My Subes are about 10 and 13 years old, respectively, and they still run like tops, go like tanks, and still manage to get good mpg. If you treat a Subie well, it will serve you well for years and years to come.

Good Luck!:)

One our second Outback, an 05, which now has all of 2455 miles on it. Never, that's never did I have a problem with my 2000 Outback, and I drove it a lot on gravel and dirt roads(hobby related) Probably did not need a new one, but what can I say.

I have been trying an experiment. Usually I just drive the Outback with a non regulated foot on the gas pedal, but with the readout of milage on the new Outback, I can monitor what I get while driving around town. Driving at the speed limits and acclerating slow I am getting 26.4 MPG in town driving. Not bad for an all wheel drive vehicle. And prices of fuel being what they are... I don't know what an Impala gets.

I don't think there is a comparison between and Impala and a new Outback.

Handeling in snowy conditions not much beats an Outback.

What else can I say?

Ok, I have a child on the way and we are shopping for cars. Pretty much it is going to be a Chevy Impala or an Outback. We looked at some Outbacks today and really like them, plus they have some nice savings right now.

Here are the cars we are looking at:

Impala LS 3800 V6 20city/30hwy MPG

Outback 2.5i 22cty/30hwy MPG

Benefits:

Impala:

-very roomy(I am a tall guy)

-better gas mileage

-more horsepower

Outback:

-AWD

-open rear end

-more options for base package

-sport shifter(i love manuals, but the wife doesnt)

Drawbacks:

Impala:

-only front wheel drive

-less cargo room

-larger car

Outback:

-costs more

-tighter seating in the rear seats

Now, I dont know to much about Outbacks, so I was wondering if people could fill me in.

Is it expensive to repair?

Do they hold value well(used seems to be fairly high priced)?

Do they break down often(my Nissan has not broken at all since 2001 when I got it)?

How do they handle in the winter? We can get nasty snow in Michigan.

Any info would really be helpful. My wife and I are bonking our heads between the two cars.

Also, for price, we have the following break down for an Outback right now:

$26,161 MSRP

-$2,294 05 Closeout

-$1,500 Cash back

After tax, title, etc etc, we are looking at about $24,002 out the door. Is this a pretty good deal?

Also, if anyone is interested in a 2001 Nissan Frontier, CONTACT ME!!!! :brow:

We've got 2 Subarus and they're really great cars. I find them easy to maintain and they've been trouble-free. But after working at a Chevrolet dealer for about 15 years, I feel compelled to tell you about the Impala: plan on visiting your Chevrolet dealer often---you'll get to know them well. The car is relatively solid and relatively dependable but I can assure you that you'll have one annoying minor problem after another.....and if you're not visiting for a warranty-related concern, you'll be visiting for a recall. To be fair, the 3800 V6 engine in the Impala is nearly bullet-proof, but then so is the latest version of Subaru's 2.5 liter engine. Oh, yeh---one more thing---if you buy the Impala, you'd best plan on keeping it for a long time, because the depreciation on that car during the first couple of years will astonish you.

Thank you mwatt! I like hearing both sides of the table.

The good think about the Impalas right now is there are so many and they are cheaper then most other vehicles. Bad thing about the Subaru is it is much more and we just dont know if we can afford it. Plus side is the 2005 Subaru is cheaper for insurance then a 2004 Impala.

Decisions decisions decisions....

Swung back by the dealer. He has another Outback(new 2005) with 2500 miles on it that he put on the vehicle driving around town.

He also asked me what it would take to get the trade in. We want 13500 for it, and he said he may be able to bump up their 11500 offer by 500 bucks....Im going for 13000 even, thats the bare minimum we can take.

That would pretty much put us at 24000 OTD

get the subaru!!! i have a 98 and I love it. I had a chevy with the 3800, and yeah they do go for a long time, but EVERYTHING else breaks :rolleyes:. even if you have to buy used, just the AWD is worth it. try outcornering me in the impala :brow:. and besides, if you want to sell the chevy once you buy it.. youre hosed on the retail.

if you want gas mileage or FWD, get a civic. probably about as fast as that heavy impala, but with better gas mileage.