Ultimate Subaru Message Board

code says 34! = EGR

Hi Listers

Well I checked the codes on my Soob Wagon (93-5-spd-4WD) and the surveys says, 34! So EGR. What are the likely driving affects. Mine is down on power and fuel economy. No idea when the last O2 sensor was put in so I'll probably change that. My old mechanic says it had flashed MAF of O2 before I bought it. Will the ECM show consecutive codes?

Back to the EGR valve, what are the effects?

Thanks,

Gareth

The code isn't for the EGR valve proper, but for the vacuum solenoid that activates it. The ECU senses whether or not the solenoid coil has the proper resistance, or if it is open or shorted. Although I have not looked at it, I would assume that the solenoid coil has failed in such a way as to not open the EGR. If this is the case, then you areunlikely to notice any bad effects, and the engine may actiually run smoother.

Hi Listers

Well I checked the codes on my Soob Wagon (93-5-spd-4WD) and the surveys says, 34! So EGR. What are the likely driving affects. Mine is down on power and fuel economy. No idea when the last O2 sensor was put in so I'll probably change that. My old mechanic says it had flashed MAF of O2 before I bought it. Will the ECM show consecutive codes?

Back to the EGR valve, what are the effects?

Thanks,

Gareth

I am unsure of the mechanics behind it all (see post by NorthWet for the real dope), but I can say that my engine light is on for the same reason - EGR valve, according to the mechanic who serviced my car recently. (93 Loyale wagon) He said I should see no effects driving and I shouldn't worry about it. With that, I took it to heart and I'm not worrying about it! Easy enough. :D

Good luck!

Kevin

Hey guys:

I'm thinking the engineers at Subaru have a reason for this sensor. One thing it does apparently is help keep the Cat converter healthy so you pass emissions tests. The FI can compensate apparently but it isn't supposed to, it means it's compromising something.

Anyway, It's easy enough to replace and honestly if all it does is make my car run cleaner thats fine.

Cheers,

Gareth

... NorthWet ... the real dope...

Aha! Somebody had caught on! :lol:

The EGRs purpose is to cut NOx emissions. I doubt that the EA82's ECU does anything to compensate, as it is really not that complex of a device. The part (EGR solenoid) is easy enough to replace, but unreasonably priced as a new part.