Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC and Overheating problems...

This post has two parts. I don't know what is wrong with my AC. I've converted it to the newer type R134A from the R12A back in 7/01. It was working wonderfully until a few months ago. It started to blow not as cold air as before. I thought the refrigerant has ran out, I checked and it's still full. I even emptied the whole thing out and added new refrigerant, but still blows the same warmer air. (It's just a bit cooler than the outside air so it's working somewhat). It was way colder before. Is the compressor going out? I feel the Low side hose when AC is turned on, it gets a little cold, but not super cold like I used to feel it before. What could be the problem here?

Second part is really for a friend of mine. His Subie is overheating (same year as mine, but a wagan, not sedan). He replaced the thermostat and installed new radiator, but still the same problem. He said when it overheats, there is no heat (blows cold air even when you set it to warm as in the winter). What could be the problem here?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Your AC problem. Did you have the system evacuated with a vacuum pump for 30-45 minutes before charging it? Did you replace the receiver drier?

Your friend.....it sounds like he has an air bubble in the system, or a blockage in the coolant line somewhere.

Your AC problem. Did you have the system evacuated with a vacuum pump for 30-45 minutes before charging it? Did you replace the receiver drier?

Your friend.....it sounds like he has an air bubble in the system, or a blockage in the coolant line somewhere.

First, no, I didn't have that procedure done on the AC recharging. Neither did I do it the first time (7/01). It did work from 7/01 to 6/05, though. What to do next?

I guess I will have my friend look at his coolant to see if there is any bubbles or some foreigh liquid. Or any line blockage sign anywhere.

I dont know about your problem, but I think Legacy 777 is right about your friends car and the air bubble. Have him start it when it is cold and leave the cap off and add water as the level goes down, also turn heater on to help get the water moving. Their is other ways to do this but this has always worked for me.