Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 legacy missing at low speeds need help!!!

ok i just drive my legacy to work and home everyday and it hasnt given me any problems until the past few days. i bought it used about 3 months ago. the guy told me that the old owner had sold it because it had jumped time. the dealer fixed the problem and it runs like new ( and it has ). now when you step on the gas just a little for like 6 seconds all of a sudden the rpm decreases and it sounds rough and the egaust is louder. the check engine light turns on when this happens. after a while of doing this the engine stops missing the cyclender and it runs perfect again and the check light turns off. i have replaced the spark plugs and gaped them right and i have replaced the spark plug wires. problem is still there what do i do???????? i need help

NEW POST!!!!!!- i have found out that my underdrive pully is bent and is moving all around and i need to get a new one. but people tell me that if it still moves around after i replace it then my crankshaft is bent, but i dont think that the crank could be bent, if it was wouldnt it be leaking out of the main seals???

I would get the codes read from the ECU. BUt it sounds like it could be a faulty knock sensor, if 92' are equiped with one???? It could be something as simple as a bad connection to a crank or cam position sensor. check all the connections. they both could have been removed during a timming belt service. But scan the ecu to narrow it down. good luck. check the simple stuff first.

ok i just drive my legacy to work and home everyday and it hasnt given me any problems until the past few days. i bought it used about 3 months ago. the guy told me that the old owner had sold it because it had jumped time. the dealer fixed the problem and it runs like new ( and it has ). now when you step on the gas just a little for like 6 seconds all of a sudden the rpm decreases and it sounds rough and the egaust is louder. the check engine light turns on when this happens. after a while of doing this the engine stops missing the cyclender and it runs perfect again and the check light turns off. i have replaced the spark plugs and gaped them right and i have replaced the spark plug wires. problem is still there what do i do???????? i need help

I would get the codes read from the ECU. BUt it sounds like it could be a faulty knock sensor, if 92' are equiped with one???? It could be something as simple as a bad connection to a crank or cam position sensor. check all the connections. they both could have been removed during a timming belt service. But scan the ecu to narrow it down. good luck. check the simple stuff first.

Yes, the '92 is equipped with a knock sensor, and this is a classic symptom of it going bad. Often they crack and start giving false readings (wich causes the ECU to retard the timing causing the hesitation/missing). They are fairly cheap, and they are really easy to replace. Many auto parts stores will pull the codes for you for free, so you can use that to narrow down what the root of the problem is. I'm adding myself to the camp that is betting that it is the knock sensor.