Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hesitation 96 OBS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:13 PM

I have a 96 OBS with the 2.2 and the auto trans, and i have a hesitation problem.

at low and part throttle when i try to accelerate the engine gets louder, but dosn't spin faster, but if i mat the throttle she'll accelerate fine, at least fine for an automatic.

I've swapped in a new TPS cause i thought it was sticking, but that has not made a difference. I keep hearing fuel filter and O2 sensor, but with good acceleration at high rpm i doubt its the fuel filter, but stranger things have happened.

I'm stretching now, but it could also be a clogged Y pipe i guess, but i don't think so.

Let me know what you think

#2 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

It's done this as long as you've owned it?

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, for about 10,000 miles give or take

#4 nate99legacy2.2

nate99legacy2.2

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Rockford

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

I was getting a check engine soon light popping on and off for awhile with no ill effect noticeable. finally the engine started the hesitation/dogging thing upon acceleration but was fine when i punched it. So i took it in to the mechanic and for $60 he pluged the ODB in and told me it was a engine knock sensor. Changed it for $81 and now its fine. has the check engine light come on at all? the computer stores the codes and its better to spend the cash on the diagnosis rather than an o2 sensos, tps, fuel filter,etc etc youll go poor trying to get it right.

#5 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

i replaced the crank, cam and knock sensors a while ago, that was the codes i was getting, that and the upstream O2, but i've been lazy in fixing that one.

#6 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

If it scoots when you boots, then it's not a plugged exhaust.

It's almost certainly gotta be something with either fuel or spark. Have you got MAF or MAP style fuel injection?

#7 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:41 PM

Maf

#8 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

You might wanna try cleaning the MAF wire and verifying the operation (resistance curve) of the IAT sensor, before going further. These two are as important as the O2 sensor for getting the part-throttle fuel mix and spark curve in the happy zone.

When you tromp the gas you move a lot of real-time parameters over to a WOT fixed map for the duration of the WOT event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users