Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know what these mean?

23 Air flow meter or circuit (exc. Justy); Pressure sensor (Justy)

35 Canister purge solenoid or circuit

52 Parking brake switch (exc. Justy)/Clutch switch (Justy)

If they r even the right codes for a 92 subaru legacy AWD.

Do u guys think these codes might lead to starting problems?

When I bought the car it had a hard time starting when the engine was warm, but now it has a hard time starting when the engine is cold LOL.

Also shouldn't subaru's get more then 200 miles to the tank?

Thanks in advance guys

You'll have to look in the manual for that model of scanner. My OBDII scanner says 23 is the "B" camshaft position circuit, 35 is the Turbo bypass valve circuit, and 52 is the HO2S Heater control circuit. Helpful ? I don't think so; if you don't have a manual, don't bother to scan it.

The code explinations you show are correct. What they mean is the ECU is not seeing the correct signal it should normally see if things were ok. This could mean that the device itself is bad or the circuit wires to it have a problem. Using a DVM to test with will usually be all you need to use to find the culprit.

DVM? is that the obd code tester thing?

I'm in california so all the autoparts store only carry obd sensors for 96 and up... might be 94 and up anyways, the dealer wants 90 buck to look at it and just to tell me what's wrong they want even more maybe depending on how much time they put into it.

I like that webpage gbrand sent me I will look at those options next week since I got work the rest of this week.

Seem like those codes r good since like I said I only get 200 miles to the tank.

Thanks again guys I really appriciate it.

What part of California are you in? I'm in the Bay Area (SF). Many Auto Prts stores will pull the codes for you (AutoZone comes to mind) to give you an idea what is going on. My 92 wagon gives 250-300 miles to the tank driven "aggresively". . .

Things to look for to improve milage:

is the air filter in good condition?

are the plugs in good shape?

what is your driving style like? (this is where I loose milage :brow: )

If you are getting a CEL (Check Engine Light) what codes are being stored?

how old is your O2 sensor? (they are good for about 100K miles)

Are your tires properly inflated? (go by the pressure on the tire, not on the door panel)

The list goes on. . .

First thing I always suggest when troubleshooting ECU codes is to clear the codes, drive the car around, and see what codes come back. Typically if you get more then one code, it's possible the other codes could be caused by a "hiccup" from the real problem.

As for your problem, I'd suspect the coolant temp sensor, even though there's no code stored for it. They will sometimes not throw any code, and may even test ok, despite being the problem.

• 2 weeks later...