Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Coil wiring

hey yall,

i swapped one of my ignition coils out of one of my cars one

day and when i returned i couldnt figure out which one went where anyhow when i wired it up inncorrectly i turned the key and heard a click or a pop and the dash turned off.i checked the fuses and they were still good

anyhow this is what id like to know

1) wiring directions to the coil

2) what that pop could have been

this is about a 86 XT turbo 2wd

i appreciate your help,

john sellers

You most likely blew out a fuse link if the ignition fuse is ok. I am not sure where to find them on a XT but I would look for a small plastic box possibly on the drivers side or near where ever the battery area is. The box was mounted on the washer fluid reservoir on my GL-10. The box had a top that pulled off and that exposed the four fuse links.

After you get the power back you can check for power to the coil lead with the ignition on, the leads to the coil disconnected, and isolated from ground. The lead with the voltage on it should go to the plus side of the coil and I think the rest of the leads should go the the minus side of the coil.

did you have the battery cable off? maybe the positive terminal is loose. power will restore with a jiggle, but will loose power as soon as you try to start, uless, of cours, you tighten it up

all the yellow wires to the coil are on the negative terminal, and the balck wire with the white stripe, and anything with a red contact is the positive side.

and the little capacitor radio noise supressor goes to the positive coil terminal

similar thing is happening on my friend's 93 loyale i'm stuck with fixing.

originally she had a stripped timing belt, so i took car of that along with new accessory belts as well....

then the starter was clicking but not spinning (it had been before i did the belts)

so in checking the wiring to the starter, i found a female connector that was all gunked up (little black plastic clip)

that looked like it was supposed to attach to the starter right behind the heavy positive lead that comes from the battery.

so i disconnected the main positive and negative leads from the starter and the trans respectivly, cleaned the leads and reconnected them along with that spare wire that seemed like it was supposed to be hooked up...

i got in , and got my "door ajar" dinging sound, and then turned the key. this time, no clicking, nothing! not even my door sound now.

everything was connected tight and clean, and the battery is/was good.

any ideas?

i already bought a new starter, but was hoping that little wire was my problem and i wouldn't have to put a new starter on the car.

if you think you know what's up...

please! call me at 443-562-5322

or email nater@naterkane.com

i need to get this thing running, it's been sitting here for 2 weeks, and i'm really sick of driving my friend to work everyday!

thanks in advance,

naterkane