Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Post-valve job, maiden voyage success!

It took a $13 exhaust valve, a $180 gasket set (almost all of which I didn't need), a valve compressor, grinding tool and grinding compound, $32 worth of valve shims, not to mention a long weekend getting 'er done, but the $1200 '97 OBW runs like an absolute top.

I aired up the tires to 40 from the 10-16psi the former owner was running, put a measly 13 gallons of regular in the tank and took off chasing rumors of Amish markets in southern Maryland.

We found the markets. The shoo-fly pie is excellent. The crab on Solomon's Island was the champ. And the Subi did just what MAINTAINED Subis do--it just kept on running, and the temp gauge was rock steady even with the AC on hi in 97* heat. Those pesky oil and coolant leaks it had when I bought it? Gone. Three cheers for new oil pump o-rings!!

But the shakedown cruise did reveal that the front rotors have a bit of a wow in them. I'm debating whether to have the old OE Subi stuff resurfaced, or go with new aftermarket replacements for all of $20 each.

But who cares!!?? The thing hasn't even consumed a half-tank of gas yet and we drove almost 200 miles!

I'm not sure about the OBW... but shouldn't you be somewhere in the 32-33 PSI range??

Well, yes, except that the previous owner drove around on 10-15psi for who knows how long. The tires are rated up to 44psi. I figure I'll run them high for a while, then drop them down to the recommended setting.

Well, yes, except that the previous owner drove around on 10-15psi for who knows how long. The tires are rated up to 44psi. I figure I'll run them high for a while, then drop them down to the recommended setting.

It must be a great feeling of accomplishment to get a $1200 Outback running perfectly again....but what are you trying to accomplish by over-inflating the tires? You ought to consider inflating the tires to the pressures shown on the label inside the driver's door. Yes, the maximum pressure on the sidewall says 44, but that's not what the manufacturer of the car calls for. If you really have the tire pressure jacked up to 40 PSI cold, aren't you worried about compromising the handling and safety of the car?

My 96 Outback is supposed to be at 28/29 (I forget which one is which...28 front/29 rear?)

I fill mine to about 32 in the summer for hopes of better gas mileage and better tire wear...but in the winter I keep them around 28..

40 just seems a bit much...

It must be a great feeling of accomplishment to get a $1200 Outback running perfectly again....but what are you trying to accomplish by over-inflating the tires? You ought to consider inflating the tires to the pressures shown on the label inside the driver's door. Yes, the maximum pressure on the sidewall says 44, but that's not what the manufacturer of the car calls for. If you really have the tire pressure jacked up to 40 PSI cold, aren't you worried about compromising the handling and safety of the car?

Yeah, I'm really pleased with it.

If I remember the news stories about Ford Explorers rolling over, it was always due tires blowing up because of underinflation. There were two reasons why I ran them up to 40psi--they were visibly slightly more worn on the inner and outer edges from the previous owner running them very underinflated, and higher inflation pressures are recommended to improve fuel economy. I'm pretty sure that running the tires 8psi over the Subaru's recommended pressure, but 4psi under the tire manufacturer's rated max, isn't compromising safety or handling. Hell, I live drive the beltway around Washington, DC. The real compromise to my safety is the way all these idiots drive!!

From http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20030101gm.html

"...Most vehicle manufacturers recommend tire inflation pressures that are a compromise of comfort and safety. In the vehicles owners manual are listed a range of tire inflation pressures usually to compensate for loaded and unloaded conditions. One of the most important changes you can make is to keep your tires inflated at the highest recommended level. If the manual gives only a single inflation pressure, read the information on the sidewall of your tires concerning maximum safe inflation pressure and add 3-5 pounds of air making certain not to exceed the stated maximum inflation pressure noted on the tire..."

Yeah, I'm really pleased with it.

If I remember the news stories about Ford Explorers rolling over, it was always due tires blowing up because of underinflation. There were two reasons why I ran them up to 40psi--they were visibly slightly more worn on the inner and outer edges from the previous owner running them very underinflated, and higher inflation pressures are recommended to improve fuel economy. I'm pretty sure that running the tires 8psi over the Subaru's recommended pressure, but 4psi under the tire manufacturer's rated max, isn't compromising safety or handling. Hell, I live drive the beltway around Washington, DC. The real compromise to my safety is the way all these idiots drive!!

From http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20030101gm.html

"...Most vehicle manufacturers recommend tire inflation pressures that are a compromise of comfort and safety. In the vehicles owners manual are listed a range of tire inflation pressures usually to compensate for loaded and unloaded conditions. One of the most important changes you can make is to keep your tires inflated at the highest recommended level. If the manual gives only a single inflation pressure, read the information on the sidewall of your tires concerning maximum safe inflation pressure and add 3-5 pounds of air making certain not to exceed the stated maximum inflation pressure noted on the tire..."

Hell, you deserve some sort of recognition just for having to deal with that GD Beltway every day. That's no small feat. I do the 270 crawl from Frederick county every morning, but that's easy by comparison.

So at 40 psi, don't you feel every bump, ridge and pebble on the road? When we bought our '99 Legacy GT last year, after a few days I began noticing that the car "banged" over the slightest bump. Sure enough, the previous owner had 'em inflated to 44 psi........