Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight bulb replacement 05 Legacy Sedan

My right front headlight burned out on my 2005 Legacy Sedan. I have the replacement bulb, but can't figure out how to get at it to replace it. It looks like I have 2 options: 1.) remove the air scoop and possibly the air filter or 2.) unbolt the headlight assembly and pull it out. If I go with option 2, will I have to re-aim the light? I didn't look closely to see how the aiming works.

Of course the manual says (in so many words) that it might be hard to get at the bulbs, and maybe the dealer should do it for me. I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to take my car to the dealer to change lightbulbs. Has anyone done this yet? Thanks!

ConnieB

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38454&highlight=05+headlight

Check out this link, you are not alone.

I do admire your desire for self-sufficiency however, MAKE the dealer do it. I have heard of a number of failures of bulbs on the 05s and while I accept that a certain number will fail by the law of averages, apparently this may be a problem with the supplier. You should neither have to pay for the bulb or the replacement on a car that is probably less than a year old.

My right front headlight burned out on my 2005 Legacy Sedan. I have the replacement bulb, but can't figure out how to get at it to replace it. It looks like I have 2 options: 1.) remove the air scoop and possibly the air filter or 2.) unbolt the headlight assembly and pull it out. If I go with option 2, will I have to re-aim the light? I didn't look closely to see how the aiming works.

Of course the manual says (in so many words) that it might be hard to get at the bulbs, and maybe the dealer should do it for me. I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to take my car to the dealer to change lightbulbs. Has anyone done this yet? Thanks!

ConnieB