Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Nudder A/C post, '93 Leg/Calsonic compressor

After nearly 13 years of trouble free operation I am starting to notice a grinding hum from the compressor when the A/C engages. It is progressive with engine RPM and only noticeable while the A/C is running although I have yet to do the "stethoscope" test. The cabin air still blows ice cold.

Is my clutch/bearing giving out? If so, is the Calsonic C5-15 compressor clutch unit replaceable on-the-car? I would like to get around having to replace the whole compressor and evacuate/r134a retrofit/recharge/....the whole system if I can avoid it.

Otherwise, I think it may be time for r465 A/C (4 windows open/65 MPH).

Is it a grinding noise or more of a high pitched squeel? After replacing mine, and putting on a new belt, I tighned the belt several times untill i ran out of adjustment. You may just need to tighten the belt or if you have recently changed them drop down one size.

The sound is most like an additional radiator fan above the normal engine sound; kind of an upper baritone-lower tenor pitch. It is progressive with RPMs and only noticeable when the AC is on. It is definitely not the screeching associated with slipping belts.

I did read the forums on about.com and someone there mentioned a similar noise that they fixed by replacing the clutch and bearing. I have not seen replacement clutches and bearings sold online for the Calsonic but I did for the other brand common in '93s (Kinki-Diesel?). So, looks like I'm stuck following 777's advice for now.

Okay, Googling "Calsonic AC clutch" yields this document for a '93 Honda Prelude. That model used the Calsonic V5 which seems like the same "genre" as our Calsonics if not the exact match. It contains a procedure thus:

CALSONIC V5 & V6 CLUTCH COIL R & I

NOTE: Calsonic V6 compressor servicing procedure is not available from manufacturer. (my emphasis, this was obviously a reverse-engineered procedure. -D)

Removal:

1) Remove shaft nut while holding clutch plate with Clutch Disc Wrench (J-39072). Install clutch disc Puller Set (J-39073-4, J-33013-1, J-33013-3) and remove clutch plate.

2) Remove snap ring. Use a universal gear puller to remove clutch pulley. See Fig. 3. Remove screw from clutch coil lead. Use puller to remove clutch coil.

Installation:

1) To install clutch coil, reverse removal procedure. Ensure coil lead is installed in original position. Using puller set and Coil Jig (J-39073-1), carefully press clutch coil into place.

2) Install a new clutch pulley snap ring, being careful not to damage shaft seal. Press clutch plate into place. Install shaft nut and torque to 89-106 INCH lbs. (10-12 N.m).

3) Use a feeler gauge to check clutch plate-to-pulley clearance. Clearance should be .012-.024" (.30-.60 mm). If clearance

is too large, remove shaft nut and again press in clutch plate. If clearance is too small, increase gap by pulling up clutch plate. DO NOT remove shaft nut.

So, it can be done with some highly specialized pullers and such. The only challenge remains to actually find a part that would fit.

Then again, it does appear from the diagram that the bearing is attached to the compressor body on the Calsonic. That is unlike the Bosch model preceding it in which the bearing is removed as well in the procedure. So maybe the bearing is not swappable after all.