Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The only thing I'm going to miss about my explorer is towing my snowmobile. Is towing an option with a 96 2.2 legacy sedan? If nothing else just to move it around town, not tow it up the mountains, even with the explorer that would be a drag (pun intended)

A snowmobile? I would imagine the trailer is quite light, in which case go for it! I don't get out of hand with mine, but I have a 400# trailer that I put a few hundred pounds in from time to time. The brakes get angry before the 2.2 does. :D

-Heikki

I tow a 700lb boat no problem, every so often I tow an 1800Lb boat it gets going alright but you really feel it pushing when you go to stop, I wouldn't feel comfortable going onto highways with that behind it. This is an Impreza OBS 2.2 5 speed.

I have a 2.2L manual 96 obw. I bought a hitch from Drawtite in 2001, very simple to install, instructions come with the hitch.

As for the ability of the car to tow... No problem. As stated before, your brakes will be the thing to take the biggest beating. Just slow down a lot sooner and a slower when stopping.

I tow a small boat and trailer around most of the time, combined weight 400 lb. I have hauled a 5x8 uhaul trailer loaded, about 1000lb from Wisconsin to Seattle and back(over the mountain passes) a couple of times. The engine will work and you'll have to drop it one or two gears up a couple of the passes, but she can handle it. Just keep the RPMs up to reduce the loads on the engine.

The one thing I'm not sure about is how the tranny is at handling the extra stresses I've been putting on it by towing. I think my 1st and 2nd gear synchros are going to have to be replaced soon at 150,000.

Mark

I tow regularly with my 92 Legacy wagon. I think my heaviest load was about 1000# more than the weight of the car. . . The 2.2 handled it just fine. the suspension, however. . Well, it was gone before I startted the tow, s it was not the tow that killed it, but I really felt it trying to jacknife on me when I got to speed on the freeway. It was fine at the rated speed of the dolly, however, which was 45MPH. Anything over that and the back end started to shimmy. the car is rated to pull 1500#, and I was over double that. I would not worry overmuch about carrying a snowmobile from place to place in town.

HERE

-Heikki

thanks.. doesnt look very strong though.... what is that 1/8"?? i dont know about that, I might just fab someting up myself. when i want to tow something, or when it comes to a bumper, i make it strong.

DSC07977.sized.jpg

now thats a bumper// structural C channel jea. ///not some plastic pos i have on my subaru i cant even hi lift from :mad::burnout:

thanks.. doesnt look very strong though.... what is that 1/8"?? i dont know about that, I might just fab someting up myself. when i want to tow something, or when it comes to a bumper, i make it strong.

[/quote=n16ht5]

It's plenty strong, I've backed into something very solid with my hitch and got some nice whiplash as my car stopped instantly.

oh ok. do I have to get it from the dealer? i found them for 130 class 2? + shipping on ebay. thanks guys

Just make sure you are getting the right part number if you are getting it on ebay. It would suck to be stuck with shipping charges for a hitch that won't fit.