Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to upgrade my tools so I can work on my Legacy properly. Is any one brand better than another? I guess there is Craftsman, Husky, Stanley, etc... Not really looking into Snap-on or MAC due to price. Any recommendations on wheter I should look at a metric set only or a mixed set?

Thanx,

Pete

For the $, you can't beat Craftsman for quality, availability, and warranty they usually don't argue about. The next step up is Snap-On, MAC, Proto, all much more $, harder to find, harder to deal with on warranties. I have a Craftsman set at home and a set at work. The big sets are really a great deal if you need a lot of tools. They have most general tools, some specialty stuff. The biggest problems I've heard are usually from abuse. I had a 1/2" drive ratchet fail on me for no reason, that's a pain, but it happens. There's a Sears in town, they handed me a new one without hesitation, I like that.

Craftsman usually does the trick for me, but nothing will ever come close to my Snap-On socket wrenches... they're like butter. Love 'em. But, it sure is nice being able to break a socket and just take it back to the store and get a new one. Hunting down a Snap-On truck is a trick :) .

I have had good luck with Wal Mart tools, as long as you dont get the cheap ones they have. After Christmas you can sometime get their Stanley tools really marked down. Also the Great Neck tools from Auto Zone are not bad.

I had the Great Neck impact driver from Autozone. Supposed to exert 200lbs of force but at the end, the screw was still stuck and the screwbit was completely stripped. I returned it for a full refund.

I just got a medium set of Craftsman - 137 pieces that was mislabeled pricewise. They honored the price and took the label off the shelf. Now I can go home and see what worn Craftsman tools I have because I never really paid attention to the lifetime warranty on hand tools.

Thanx to all,

Pete

I have to agree: Get Craftsman. A good metric set will be a great start on the tools you need. Add a 1/2" drive breaker bar if you do not already have it, as well as the universal joint adapters. Most used sockets are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm. get those in several types (regular, deep, 1/2" drive and 3/8"drive as well as combination wrenches) After you get the basic set, add as needed, and always with more Craftsman. THat is the brand that I have never had a problem with. Everything else (other than the ones that drive around in a truck) is junk in comparison. . .

Dont kid yourself about Crafstman, most of their tools are now being made in the same places as Wal Mart (China) I just bought a Whirlpol Air Cond. from Sears a couple of weeks ago and it was also made in China. The fact that China makes most things is not the problem, what I dont like is the fact that our Gov. takes our tax money and help our factories move through the Agency Of International Devolpment. And now soon under GATT it will be a violation of law to post on the products what country they were manufactured in. I know this is a post about tools, but Crafsman is not the same as long ago.