Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 SVX transmission - no third gear

Hi all, This is my first post to this great message board!

I'm looking at purchasing a 1992 Subaru SVX with about 110,000 miles. The car looks pretty good, but the transmission will not shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. 1st, 2nd and reverse seem fine. I can pick up this car very cheap, but am wondering what it might cost me to get the trans fixed. Could it just be something electrical?

Thanks, Steve

i'd plan on getting another transmission. start looking around, asking for a used one and you can get a decent price on one. rebuilds or new they can be very expensive. but used ones run 1,000 - 2,000 easy as well from a yard. you can get better prices. i think you can even get other transmissions (more available subaru transmissions....= cheaper) but i'm not sure of the details on which models will work.

install a transmission cooler when you get another trans so you can hopefully avoid this in the future. heat kills these transmissions, very common. ATF cooler helps tons and costs 29.99 or less and super simple to install.