Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone. I'm new. Did some searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. I apologize if my questions have been covered.

I'm wondering if the 2.5l (non turbo) models are quicker than the 00-04 models given the weight reduction?

I currently own a 99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. I can't wait to get rid of it. It's caused me so many headaches despite the fact that it's a joy to drive.

I really like the utility of the scooby wagons. I camp and ski a lot, so I think it would be really handy when I've got friends tagging along on trips.

I tried a few 01's. A vdc and a limited automatic. I didn't think the limited was that sluggish, but I felt like it had to shift too much and it wasn't shifting at the right time. As an example, on a hill it wouldn't shift till halfway up the hill, only to upshift before getting to the top. The shifts weren't that smooth either. I felt like I was getting jerked around, but only for that split second after a shift. It wasn't like there was so much power holding me against the back of the seat.

Anyway, I've yet to drive a 2.5l 05 or 06. My roommate has an 05 ll bean. I like it a lot, but I don't want the poor gas mileage.

I'm also wondering if the variable valve timing will be a large benefit for the 06 year. Do you think it will be worth it? I'm surprised it's taken subaru this long to do it. I'm also curious to see how it affects gas mileage. That's obviously becoming important these days.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Thanks everyone!

A friend just picked up a automatic 2005 Legacy i to replace his 1997 Legacy GT

($21k out the door)

He had a previous (very bad) experience with a turbocharged Subie (XT), so his preference is for normally-aspirated Subies.

He was very pleased with the 2005's performance - thought it was much quicker than his 1997 GT.

He specifically got the 2005 model instead of the 2006 to avoid the new valve design - doesn't have much confidence in first-year engine re-designs. :)

A friend just picked up a automatic 2005 Legacy i to replace his 1997 Legacy GT

($21k out the door)

He had a previous (very bad) experience with a turbocharged Subie (XT), so his preference is for normally-aspirated Subies.

He was very pleased with the 2005's performance - thought it was much quicker than his 1997 GT.

He specifically got the 2005 model instead of the 2006 to avoid the new valve design - doesn't have much confidence in first-year engine re-designs. :)

I have an '06 on order. I thought the engine has been out for a year or so in the Forester? I dunno. I'm excited and a little trepidatious - first turbo ever for me!

Carl