Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 carby long block??? vs. FI

Guest baccaruda

Guest baccaruda

Found an 87 wagon FS cheep in spovegas. has a knock or something and no guts. I'm thinking about picking it up and putting a different long block in it. someone said that an SPFI/MPFI long block would not work under a carby's intake stuff? can anyone tell me why/verify?

Guest GlCraigGT

The MPFI will not because the heads have dual intake ports.

The SPFI can be made to, the biggest hurdle is that the spfi heads do have the machine work done to them that allows the ASV/air injection tubes; to be bolted to them. You could probably get away with not hooking them up. The SPFI has a couple of internal difference, the cams have a different lift and duration and the CR is a little higher. SPFI is 9.5:1 and carb/MPFI is 9.0:1.

Guest baccaruda

thanks craig. i want to know what my options are for donor blocks if i snag this wagon. So I could block off those ASV tubes? (ASV=??) and then maybe advance the timing a little if the comp is higher..? thanks

Guest GlCraigGT

You could probably get away with blocking off the ASV(air suction valve). You could try playing with the timing but with a carb engine usually when you up the CR it increase the possibility of pre-detonation (knocking/pinging); well the same thing holds true when you advance the timing. Like I said you can play with it, try advancing it until you get the tiniest amount of pinging under full load.