Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Light/won't start

The Hitachi alternator parts are on their way from MN to Sweden (see previous thread on new alternator/uneven idle). Now that that problem will hopefully be solved, it is time for a new problem!

The car is becoming increasingly difficult to start. It will only crank over if I unsuccessfully start it the first time and then try it again immediately. I need to let it sit a minute; then it will pop off. It seems equivelent to 'flooding' it with a carbrated system. The check engine light is now on permantently. Is it time for a new fuel filter or something else of the liking? Is it easiest just to bring it in to the Subie mechanic here and pay him loads of money to most-likely not solve the problem?

about a 110,000 U.S. miles on the car.

Hints?

Thanks!

Sweden

Ain't that life? When you get a handle on one problem it just makes room for another one to pop up!

Your best bet would be to pull the codes to see why the CEL is coming on. I suppose they charge a Swedish arm-and-a-leg to hook up an OBDll scanner--might even be worth investing in one. But until you find out what's lurking in the ECU's warped little mind, you're just flailing in the dark!

Or, as you suggested, you could go to a Subaru dealer and give him all your money.

At any rate, best of luck to you.