Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My son has a 1991 Subaru Liberty Station Wagon (Australia) and the fuel guage is acting up. It suddenly drops to empty after the half way mark. The servicing agent says it is the sensor in the tank that needs replacing. My son can't afford to have it replaced. Can anybody tell me if it is a very difficult task to do diy? Is there any chance the sensor unit may be fixable with some of his Dad's experience with that sort of thing in his own cars as a youth? Or else is it very difficult to piull it out and maybe replace it with a 2nd hand unit?

Cheers, Pete

Hey Pete,

The sending units in the tank can sometimes get coroded. You can remove them and some times lightly sand the contacts.

There are sending units on both side of the tanks. So you should be able to remove the carpet in the back, and get to the access panels where you can remove the fuel pump/sending units.

Thanks Legacy

I'll give it a go this weekend. Looking forward to getting my son on the road to looking after his car Like I used to.

Pete

Hey Pete,

The sending units in the tank can sometimes get coroded. You can remove them and some times lightly sand the contacts.

There are sending units on both side of the tanks. So you should be able to remove the carpet in the back, and get to the access panels where you can remove the fuel pump/sending units.