Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to Replace Fog Light lamps on 2002 Outback?

Does anyone know the proceedure for opening the bumper mounted fog lights to replace the bulbs on the 2002 Outback Wagon . The manual has this wonderful help to offer... "It may be difficult to replace the bulbs. Have your Subaru dealer replace the bulbs if necessary". They use the words "if necessary" and yet there is no other information on how you may do it yourself. I first tried to loosen the screw next to the lens until I realized I was just adjusting the lamps' aim. I then tried to unscrew the two screws holding the top of the assembly. This did loosen the assembly but then it seemed as if something in the back was still holding it in place. I think I may need to remove the rock protector from inside the wheel well, but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Milz,

Recently I pulled one of my fog lamps to correct a stone chip to the lens of the driver's side. I too had difficulty getting the lamp out of the bumper facia. The 2 screws up top that hold the lamp assembly had to be removed first, and then as I recall there was another screw in the upper left quadrant of the aiming ring that screwed back into the facia itself. The lamp then came free enough to reach behind it and turn the wiring connector to remove the bulb socket. I think that the lamp assembly hanging from the top vibrated too much while driving, and the engineers put the other screw back into a plug in the facia to take out the vibration. Just a guess. This all was 3 months ago, so I'm kind of fuzzy on the exact details. Good luck!

Milz,

Recently I pulled one of my fog lamps to correct a stone chip to the lens of the driver's side. I too had difficulty getting the lamp out of the bumper facia. The 2 screws up top that hold the lamp assembly had to be removed first, and then as I recall there was another screw in the upper left quadrant of the aiming ring that screwed back into the facia itself. The lamp then came free enough to reach behind it and turn the wiring connector to remove the bulb socket. I think that the lamp assembly hanging from the top vibrated too much while driving, and the engineers put the other screw back into a plug in the facia to take out the vibration. Just a guess. This all was 3 months ago, so I'm kind of fuzzy on the exact details. Good luck!

Thank you very much. I will certainly take a look to see if I can find this elusive third screw.