Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey im new to the site and i have a 96 impreza and im kinda wondering what can i do to this car to make it fast, motor swaps seems to be the best posssible way, but which motor will fit in this car with huge modifcation

I've also got a '96 Impreza (with a 2.2l engine). When I researched this idea a couple of years ago, the best info I found was on the NASIOC forum, in Subaru Conversions, the sticky for FAQs and Threads of Note.

To summarize that, these cars and later use the EJ series engines. Newer engines will drop in mechanically because the engine mounts and transmission bolts match up. The complications occur with the wiring harness, the engine computer and the exhaust system, since you will have to replace or modify those to get the engine to work correctly.

There doesn't seem to be much speed equipment available for our cars, either.

It looks like there are plenty of practical performance options for the cars made after Y2K.

I've decided that my money would be better spent on a newer Subaru with a turbo on it, instead of trying to hot rod the '96. :-\