Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leather Cleaner recommendations

Now that the hot weather has broken, I was thinking of cleaning and conditioning the leather seats in our Outback Wagon.

Any suggestions or results of a particular product from anyone would be appreciated.

Also, any helpful techniques or tricks to make the job "better" (read that as easier).

They haven’t been cleaned since new in 2001.

:-\

Hi,

There are a few options and of course, everyone has their favorites. I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner and am fairly pleased with it. Some swear by Hide Food, for cleaning I've heard good things about saddle soap.

Regards,

Adnan

Now that the hot weather has broken, I was thinking of cleaning and conditioning the leather seats in our Outback Wagon.

Any suggestions or results of a particular product from anyone would be appreciated.

Also, any helpful techniques or tricks to make the job "better" (read that as easier).

I've used Merguires and so far it's good.

there. Lexol has a slight tendency to be sticky on a hot day. On the other hand they use it on saddles and Land Rovers in Africa so it does seem to work.

My BMW is a 99 and the seats and interior look brand new.

The only thing leather in my Forester is an old jacket on the back seat.

I have been told by upholstery shops that neatsfoot oil is the best preservative, and it does seem to give good results for me. Lexol is a variant of neatsfoot oil and is probably better if you can find it. I've never had any filthy leather seats, have always used windex and a soft cloth for dusting or light water soluble stains. If I had any stained or dirty seats, I would probably look for a product made specifically for leather cleaning.

I use Leatherique Rejuvinating Oil and Pristine Clean on my BMW and my wife's 97 OBW. It is expensive, but it is by far the best product I've used for leather.

Lexol is my second choice. IMHO, it does not condition the leather as well as Leatherique.

We use Murphys oil soap to clean (after we ran out of Tanner's cleaner) and it works fine. For conditioning after cleaning, we use Tanners Leather preserve. I was able to buy a 6-pack of the preserve from a 3rd party vendor selling through Amazon actually. We have been using Tanners since 1998 and it is fantastic.

aba4430