Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are ECU codes.....?

ECU codes is a term for the information that the ECU stores in its memory bank when the check engine light comes on. By plugging in a pair of connectors under the hood, an LED on the ECU will flash a number of times, indicating what is causing the check engine light. If you haven't got a check engine light turned on right now, the ECU will flash a "safe" code, simply identifying itself.

The codes are a great tool for diagnosing what sensor is causing the check engine light, and how to fix it. For example, right now on my rig, I've got a code 34 - that means the EGR solenoid isn't functioning correctly... but I don't really care, because EGRs are for the birds :) .

Somewhere around here is a list of the codes and what they mean, but I'm drawing a blank as to where it's at.

Please someone tell me if my type of gar has this capabilities.

Thank you.

Only if it has an ECU:)

Honestly, I would be that most of us wouldn't have a clue if your car had the capability to store codes. Common rule for carb'd cars in the states is 'if it has an O2 sensor it has an ECU" That may or may not be true for EDM cars.

Look under your dash by the steering column. If you have an ECU, thats where it will be.

Turn your car's ignition to the 'on' position, but don't start it. All of your dash lights should come on.

If you have a light called "ECS", then your car has a computer. If not, then your car doesn't have a computer, so don't worry about ECU codes.

If you car has a computer, it is under the steering column, just about a finger's depth behind the dash. With the ignition in the 'on' position, an LED on the computer will flash codes. Just look under the steering column for a box with a flashing LED on it.

The LED flashes a computer 'morse code'. Long flash = 10, short flash = 1. Example, 3 long and 4 short = code 34. Multiple codes have pauses in between groups of flashes.

I think that there's an article in the repair manual (USRM) that covers ecu codes. It's more thorough that I can be using my memory.

Just to 'throw a cat among the pigeons'

My 89 Tourer is MPFI but doesnt have a check engine light????

---------

Gannon

So there's no "ECS" light along the row with all of the other dummy lights? Are you sure it's just not burned out, or disabled? The light didn't work on my '88, but it was still there.

EDIT: Check the USRM (Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual) for details on codes.