Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

This is my first post here, been reading for a while here and finally registered. Great site, tons of great info.

Hopefully you can give me some insight on a paint problem I have.

I have a gold 03 forester that I bought in may, it had 16k miles on it and is in great shape. Saturday I parked it under some trees across the street from my house right behind my wife's 00 yukon. It rained a bit and both cars got dripped on and were really dirty. I washed the forester on Sunday and noticed what looked like water spots. On closer inspection, there are about 2 dozen spots on the roof and hood where the clear coat has been eaten thru and the base colorcoat is wrinkled and discolored. I looked my wife's yukon over and it is fine. I went to the dealer yesterday and the service manager took a look and said that it's tree sap, one of the worst things for paint and it's normal, just take some compound and rub it out the best you can. I explained to her that I've been parking under those trees for 15 years with various cars and this has never happened to any of them, in fact my wife's car was right in front of mine and has no spots at all on it.

Apparently the warranty only covers paint problems that come from underneath, not from on top. She says there wasn't much she could and if I would like, she will contact me in September when the factory rep is in and he will take a look at it. So I left my card and plan on going back to have the factory rep take a look.

Would appreciate any help I can get,

thanks,

Mike