Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Issues swapping EA82 into an EA82T?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

looking at picking up an 87.5 XT Turbo. i'd like to put an NA EA82 in it's place. that's right, the opposite of what most people want to do.

manual trans fulltime 4WD.

*** EDIT *** looks like the ECU and wiring harness will work, no swap needed on that.

can i reuse anything when i rebuild it?
can i keep the turbo block, heads, intake manifold, injectors?

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

Should be easy, assuming that you are staying MPFI. That requires using MPFI heads (either turbo or non). The pistons are the only engine part that are significantly different; the turbo's non-distributor side head as extra external fittings, and the case has an extra, central PCV fitting.

Need a y-pipe for the exhaust system to replace crossover(uppipe) and downpipe. And new intake boot to run between MAF and throttle body.

If you are using an SPFI, then things are a little more complicated.

*edit - I was incorrect about PCV: MPFI (turbo or non) seem to have the PCV fitting. end edit *

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:13 PM

so i can use the turbo heads on an NA block. but i'll need to plug the extra fittings?

what about the injectors, don't they differ between NA and turbo or will the turbo injectors work fine?

plans now:
rebuild the turbo motor with NA pistons.
need NA pistons, exhaust and intake.
i can make the exhaust and intake and i already have pistons.

thanks!

#4 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

accoring to kevin the NA and Turbo injectors are different.

http://www.ultimates...uth about turbo

how would the ECU handle the larger injectors if used on an NA car?
maybe i'll need NA injectors?

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:40 PM

Every post that I have read says that the ECU is the same unit between turbo and non-turbo MPFI. IF that is true (I think that I could verify if needed), then the injectors are essentially the same (unless there are fitment variations; again, I could check).

The turbo heads could be used, but you would need to plug the turbo oil-feed line, the oil drainback tube, and the turbo-coolant feed line. The turbo cams also seem to be "milder" with less overlap (and I would assume less duration).

The intake should be the same, except for the piece between MAF and TB. Regarding the pistons, unless you are getting a rebalance, I would probably take the whole crank/rod/piston assembly from the donor, as those should have been balanced as an assembly.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

awesome, thanks pat.

this vehicle has the spyder intake, does that means it's MPFI? or could it still be SPFI?

#7 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:14 AM

"Spider" would make it MPFI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users