Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EG33 into XT?

Phizinza

Just say when I get my XT (most likly to be a EA82T) What are my chances of fitting a EG33 in?

Will I have to find a new place for the radiator? Will I need to widen the engine bay? How easy is it to fix a EG33 to a EJ AWD trans?

On another note, should I just retrofit the whole car with WRX suspension? Or keep the EA driveshafts and suspension?

See, I was thinking, there isn't any difference between a XT and a XT6 (?) So surly if a ER27 fits in a EG33 would with out moving the radiator. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks.

I think the EG33 is just too long, if you compair the engine compartment of the XT vs XT6 you'll see how subaru had to modify the core support and few other items just the make the ER27 fit. If you really want a H6 you may want to look at the EZ30, it's not that much bigger then a EJ25.

As the only person I am aware of who actually put an EG33 into an XT, I will say this, Adam is right, it depends on the person doing the swap as to what difficult is. I can tell you that an EG33 will fit mated to a 5spd and there is still room left over to fit two up-pipes, two turbos, two ICs and two downpipes. So the short answer to your question is YES, it will fit. Whether or not it is easy to fit depends on your level of experience and resources (tools, fabrication, money etc.). I would not reccomend this as a first time engine swap because the fitment and routing are complicated by the tight fit. If you have never done a swap before you are much better off buying a JDM WRX motor and using a easy to hook up pre programed LINK ecu. Next up the ladder would be a WRX front clip, a little more involved in wiring but an easy fit. The EG33 is a great deal more difficult. If you have never done a swap before I would suggest going a bit simpler.

Alrighty. That's more like it. This car would be my project car so it can take a while to do. But, now coming to think about it, maybe I should pick a smaller motor just for waight reasons.

My plan is to build a rally XT. I would like 250 to 300hp and much more NM's. So maybe a halfcut WRX would be the choice. So, I'm guessing I should upgrade the suspension. But should I just use WRX (or WRX aftermarket) or standard XT (or aftermarket XT) or should I go all out and weld up support for real rally suspension? I will also be installing a rollcage. Not sure I'f I will be the one welding it up as you can't race legally here in australia unless your rollcage passes CAMS (the australian racing commity)

I'm just pretending that the budget is bottomless at the moment to get an idea of what to do.

And, yes, I am suicidel...

i did some meaureing on my 89 gl 10 and my svx. dont have the measurements handy but when the cars were side by side the front of the motor would have been into the front bumper. width would be a squease but duable. its just way long i bet you could do it easyer if you made it a rear wheel drive..

Definatly go with the EJ series tranny. The Ea series held up in my BRAT for almost 5k miles, on some pretty tough use, but ultimatly was not up to the job at 250Hp and the 33x16 in. tires. Now, Your rally car would not run that kind of tires but the wheel spin and grip (mainly alternating between them) would hammer it allot as well. Your better off going with the EJ series it will work nicely at 240Hp and with all the nice gear sets out there and clutch options your good as far as your will ever go with your engine.

• 1 year later...

As far as suspension, There is a big difference between the XT(4) VS. XT6. The XT shared all it's running gear with the EA82 wgn/sdn/cp. So your suspension and wheel choices would be limited. And probably not up to the task of supporting the 6cyl. (Loyale2.7 solved this by using Tempo front springs).

Find an XT6 to start with if your're gonna do it. You'd have to find one to scavenge 5 lug swap parts from anyhow. I like the Idea of using the EZ30. readily available and cheaper for a whole clip as opposed to the expensive, rare, and heavy SVX motor.

As far as suspension, There is a big difference between the XT(4) VS. XT6. The XT shared all it's running gear with the EA82 wgn/sdn/cp. So your suspension and wheel choices would be limited. And probably not up to the task of supporting the 6cyl. (Loyale2.7 solved this by using Tempo front springs).

Find an XT6 to start with if your're gonna do it. You'd have to find one to scavenge 5 lug swap parts from anyhow. I like the Idea of using the EZ30. readily available and cheaper for a whole clip as opposed to the expensive, rare, and heavy SVX motor.

I was thinking, hey I want to do that looking at the title of this thread, then realised it's one of mine from my younger self....... What do they say? HOLY OLD THREAD BATMAN!!!

I have thought on this more jsut this year and I reckon I would use full WRX suspension and trans.

As for finding an XT6 in Australia... :mad:

Just say when I get my XT (most likly to be a EA82T) What are my chances of fitting a EG33 in?

Will I have to find a new place for the radiator? Will I need to widen the engine bay? How easy is it to fix a EG33 to a EJ AWD trans?

On another note, should I just retrofit the whole car with WRX suspension? Or keep the EA driveshafts and suspension?

See, I was thinking, there isn't any difference between a XT and a XT6 (?) So surly if a ER27 fits in a EG33 would with out moving the radiator. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks.

hope i'm ther first to post this but been done

edit:nuts, sorry

Hay man i know this is an old thread but if it was going to be a rally car you could move the motor back through the fire wall with out much difficulty, but geting it engineered will be a *************** for rwc, but you would have a bit better weight distribution for that heavy motor

Hay man i know this is an old thread but if it was going to be a rally car you could move the motor back through the fire wall with out much difficulty, but geting it engineered will be a *************** for rwc, but you would have a bit better weight distribution for that heavy motor

What about the front driveshafts? Maybe setup something like nissan did in the GTR and have sump mounted diff? In my mind theres no point to a RWD subie.

yeah see.. We don't get XT6's here in Australia. I haven't even heard of an imported one.. So I would start on a XT4 base.

i beleave there are 4 xt6s in Australia.

the front radiotor suports mite have to be modifidyed aye to make room like an xt6 has. see on pic below

xtandxt6front.jpg

the later model XT's have a different nose...similar to the XT6 and may offer more room. 1987.5 and up i believe.

you can tell it's an XT6 first by the headlight washers in the bumper.

nope, the 87,5 and higher don't have more room, they share the bumper (and mine also has the headlight washers) but they still have the straight XT4 rad support

you definately need to modify it liek the XT6 one, huck has proven that a EG33 WILL fit in a XT6 without extensive modding of the frame and/or body (it will be a tight fit though)