Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I am trying to install a radio on my '96 Outback. So far the top center trim panel came off very easily, but I cannot get the lower trim panel off. Are there screws holding it in? The manual does not say anything about them. It seems like the area around the cigarette lighter is fastened in. Thanks in advance.

There are two philips head screws where the ashtray (or smaller storage pocket) is. I have always taken the console out to do this which is very easy. I think you have to do this to get the rest of the panel out.

nipper

Thanks, but the bottom console won't come out. It seems to be held in by hidden screws.

Ok i just did this literally 5 minutes ago. Open the center console storage lid, there are two screws. Remove those two screws. Apply the parking brake. The trim around the parking brake comes out. Newt turn the car on (if you have a brake interlock) and put the car in low. Make sure the brake holds or block a wheel. The black trim peoice around the grear selector will pop out, gently, Work from the sides toward the top with a thin flathead screwdriver. Remove that peice, now the rest of the panle around the gear selector will pup out.

Next get a vaccum and clean out there (heheheh ...i found a 1.25 ).

Its just a big jigsaw puzzle=, re assembly is the reverse.

There are two philips head screws where the ashtray (or smaller storage pocket) is.

nipper

you'll need a stubby phillips screw driver to take em out.then the trim molding should just pop out,as long as you removed the top two screws at the top.

mine's broken so i just have to remove the top two

I didn't have to remove the center console, just the trim starting where the cup holder is and two other screws where you remove the ashtray (or in my case no ash tray just a storage tray) I had to use a stubby philips to get it out. It wa shard to get the trim back in with the power outlet, I bet would goi in easier with the center console out, but I'd rather muscle it in than remove all that.

The radio install was a piece of cake, no kit needed. I removed the factory radio by undoing the four philips screws, two on each side of the radio. The new radio fit right in to that bracket and the four screws lined up perfectly. Now wire it up using a wiring harness or vut them all together if you feel like doing it that way, i wouldn't advise it to avoid buying a nice $15 harness.

yes!! it's all fixed. Thanks for everyone's help...the lower trim panel refused to come off, so I finally just gave it a good yank and cracked it a little bit. Doesn't matter, you can barely tell now. And then I encountered problems later when my stupid screwdriver wasn't cooperating, so I took a trip to Home Depot and got myself some real Stanley screwdrivers, and that did the trick. Thanks again!