Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy EJ22 swap into 90 Legacy

subieman

I have a 90 Legacy in excellent condition except for the drive train. I have a wrecked 95 Legacy with a good engine and tranny. Would I see any problems with swapping the motor? Looks like I might have to change out the intake and then the rear diff to keep the ratios the same??? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

OBD 1 is what the 1990 legacy runs for engine management, AKA the computer system. It is a non standardized system, unique to that subaru and model, as all computers by subaru were up to that point. you have to connect wires under the dash to get the Ceck Engine Light (CEL or MIL, malfunction indicator light) to flash you a numeric code.

OBD2 is a standardized, to a point, system. Most cars after 1995 are OBD2. there is a standard connector on the drivers side of the dash connector that any OBD2 scan tool can be pluged into. How many codes you are able to acess is up to the OEM and the scan tool manufacturer. Most of the P codes, or powertrain codes are acessable.

The intake manifold may be able to be swapped over to the new block, but depending of the port layout of the heads, you may not be able to.

The exhaust ports chaned in 1995. the earlier EJ22's had dual exhaust ports feeding the Y pipe headers. Post-95 EJ22's had single port headers. a bit of cutting, flaring and welding may let you adapt the headers.