Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling the engine in the 84 turbo

Working on pulling the engine out (I know I'm slow!) of the 84 coup finally to get the headgaskets replaced... And, I'm wondering if this is a PVC failer. I found that oil is all over the inside of the air pipe between the air filter and the turbo... Not after the turbo, before... After the turbo things were actually pretty clean. Looks like most of it came up through a hose that runs through a bunch of stuff I don't reconise that also has a hose connected to the intake manofold, and to the head breather port. So I'm asuming this is a bad pvc or sign of a bad pvc? it was all puddled around the plug where the hose went into the pipe, and no where else, so I know it came up though this hose.

- Anyway Progress of the engine is comming along smoothly. Only thing on the top half left to disconnect is the a/c compressor, and the power steering, I'm just gonna push them off to the side, I don't really want to disconenct their hoses. While the engine is out, I plan to replace all coolant lines, preferbly with thoes special red hoses, I'm tempted to do the vacume lines, but they look alright to me. I'm replacing the transmission cooling lines as well so it stops leaking tranny fluid. Also replacing the starter moter, sense I have a spare and that one, is a bit flaky, not sure yet if it's really a problem of wireing or the starter, I'll find out soon.

--Fuel system? I know when the moter runs, sense it's multi-port fuel injected, it runs at a high pressure. Is this thing going to be pressureised after sitting for a week? And What other interesting things should I be careful about when I disconnect the fuel system, pull the engine, and remove the heads? Injectors are in the heads, so they'll have to either come out, or get disconnected from the fuel rails in some way or another...

I wish I had a book on a ea81 turbo engine but I don't. Anyway, thanks for the help.:)

That would be Great! When I have a vehicle capible of making it down there I will let you know. Brat is dead now too :banghead: I'm planning on getting the brat running to the point of making a freeway trip by tomarrow night hopefully... it has a really bad wheel bearing right now. So once thats done I can make it down.

THe fuel system will be under pressure - its not excessive, just be prepared for some to leak when you take the first hose off.

That online scan of an fsm that was floating around has all the info for the removal and so on of the ea81t. You should be able to find it with a search.

That sounds like a good idea, Thanks Rob:) And thanks to everyone for helping me out with this project, I really appreciate it. Fuel rails have to come off, and so does the intake manofold, thats my next step. I will probably work on it on monday, I'll keep this updated.