Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stick shift is loose...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

Ok my stick shift goes all over the place, sometimes I'm not sure what gear I'm in. It doesnt have any resistance like most sticks do, mine doesnt have that spring or whatever it has, any ideas? I can move it in neutral from left to right and it just sits there, it doesnt bounce back to the center and its very loose. Is there a piece missing or something to adjust? Thanks lots.

#2 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

I am going through the repair of the sifter bushings right now.

About the stick not bouncing back, your return spring probably just fell of. That is pretty easy to replace. #18 in the photo Just go to a junk yard with some pliers crawl under any manual, loyal body style with some needle nose pliers and yank the spring. It is located right at the rear of the transmission

The bushings are a little more involved.

I replaced all of mine but found that the only one that was messed up was #26. After years of shifting there was hardly anything left (see pic below).

This is a schematic of the shifting mechanism.

Posted Image

Here are some pics from the teardown.

Be sure to check your inner "black" shifter boot for tears. Mine had the whole top tore off. Your boot will look different because you have single range. Remember that there is a pin that holds the shifter knob to the shift lever that you have to pound out.

Posted Image

This shows what was left of the #26 bushing, ya it was pretty much doing nothing.

Posted Image

This shows the linkage out of my car so I could remember how to put it all back together.

Posted Image

As far as prices go I would go under the car and look and see what bushing is blown out. Replacing all the bushings and steel inserts was about $40-50. If you could get away with just replacing #26 and the bolt will cost you $9.

Pounding out the roll pin at the transmission is a pain. The roll pin is actually 2 pins, a small pin inside a larger pin. Just pound out the small one first then pound out the big one.

Good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions

#3 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:59 AM

Wow, more complicated than I thought, i didnt know there were so many parts under there. My Suby is dual range also. Can you post a pic of the spring and maybe where its located? How do I get it off and put on?
Thanks.

#4 84gl

84gl

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Southwest VA

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

I Made all my shifter bushings (for my wagon) out of bearing bronze and press fitted them in also drilled and trapped grease fittings so they will never ware out

#5 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

Yes bronze would be nice.

But even with the factory bushings you will experiance shifting nirvana. I have replaced a couple of sets of these and it is well worth the trouble.

#6 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

Well looks like my #21 and #22 bushings are gone and so thats pretty easy. I dont think i'll go into the other ones under the car, not worth it. Thanks.

#7 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

So that shift sensor for the 4WD right by the 4WD shifter, what does that do? I unscrewed it and pulled it back and when i put it in 4WD, the light still comes on on the dash. Is there another sensor that does the light on the dash?

#8 1985GLWAGON

1985GLWAGON

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Frankfort

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

That switch just controls the yellow "Lo" light, I don't know where the switch is for the green 4x4 lights.

#9 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

Ah cool, makes sense why my lo light isnt working cuz my switch is all messed up. So where is the "lo" light supposed to light up on the dash? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users