Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there:

I'm looking to purchase a good used Subaru and need some advice. I'm looking at a Legacy, Outback, or Forester, probably 1998 to 2001. I know Subarus perform well, and I'm concerned about reliability. There are so many differernt factors to consider, such as engines; (2.2L, 2.5L -gen1,gen2) transmissions: auto vs. manual, different awd drive systems in the auto and manual in the pre year 2000 models, as well as which is easiest to work on. I guess I'm looking for the most reliable combination, and what to look for when getting a used Subaru, and why. I'd appreciate any advice you can send my way. Thanks

Hi there:

I'm looking to purchase a good used Subaru and need some advice. I'm looking at a Legacy, Outback, or Forester, probably 1998 to 2001. I know Subarus perform well, and I'm concerned about reliability. There are so many differernt factors to consider, such as engines; (2.2L, 2.5L -gen1,gen2) transmissions: auto vs. manual, different awd drive systems in the auto and manual in the pre year 2000 models, as well as which is easiest to work on. I guess I'm looking for the most reliable combination, and what to look for when getting a used Subaru, and why. I'd appreciate any advice you can send my way. Thanks

Reliability wise there is no difference between legacy,outback, forester, etc.

If you can afford it get 2000 up with the 2nd generation 2.5 motor. Manuals tend to be more reliable than auto in the long run, but the newer autos are built very well.

The later model EJ22 was the best motor Subaru made like '97-'98 EJ22's

You mean the interference ones, where when you break a timing belt, the engine is messed up?

1996 and before EJ22 are great. Not to say later ones are bad, but if you happen to break a timing belt, you're in a bit more touble.

Hi there:

my 96 legacy 2.2 is a friggin TANK

auto