Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crawl 4 the Cure; Subarus Well Represented! - New Pic Location

MorganM

This weekend was the Crawl 4 the Cure charity offroad event for Multipule Sclerosis Society of Minnesota. Numbchux and myself made $500 for the MS society in pledges of sponsorship for the event. Total there were 150 people registerd, 75+ ORVs in the park just for C4C event, and $20,000 donated to MS society.

Chux, Sarah, and myself all camped out for the weekend and enjoyed a lot of offroading at the Iron Range offroad park. We rode for 6 hard hours on SAT; casualties in our group were: new Jeep Liberty gashed two tires, stock Jeep Wrangler gashed a tire, old Toyota Land Cruiser starter selinoid, Chux blew his new rear axle, and I got 3 large dents from the Rock Gorge :brow: . Thankfully I brought a spare rear and we poped that on at camp. I left early on SUN so I'm anxious to hear how Chux and Sarah did on SUN.

Here are some teaser pics from one of the jeep clubs. Not everyone is home yet from it so more pics and clips will be coming later of Subarus doing it on all fours through rocks, mud, and well... more rocks. :drunk:

OOOoops!

07022005%20029.jpg

Bob pretending to hold up his jeep :lol:

07022005%20038.jpg

This guy, Moe, just completed a trail called " 1% " in the "Put up or shut up" category. You can see here why only 1% of the ppl who come actually make it through this trail!

07022005%20054.jpg

i guess the AA lift broke a rear axle =/

nope....2!!

well, sort of, the second one (morgan's spare....btw, thanks, I owe you one!) within an hour or so on sunday, came apart, nothing broke, but the cage and ball bearings all fell out into the boot. but I put it back together back at camp, wish I would've thought of it while we were on the trail...

Anyway, yea, Shady wanted his comparison....he got it. Both lifts showed their strengths and weaknesses, unfortunately, Morgan just got a couple nasty gouges in his mustach bar, and I was forced to return to camp...Morgan successfully navigated a rock gorge that I didn't even try (didn't want to bash up the 3-week old wagon) and I still blew up an axle on a much easier part of the trail. and it BLEW up, inner DOJ exploded, about an inch of the cage and a big chunk out of the cup, along with the balls landed several feet behind the car! heard the noise, noticed my extreme inability to do anything after it, so I got out and looked, and the axle was hanging out by the outer joint.

And sunday's experience was similar, went through a pretty gnarly section, but not too bad, shouldn't have had any trouble, got up the first hill, and just at the top, heard the 'horrible clunk' but looked and everything seemed to be intact. Got through a bunch more of the obstacle (downhill.....) and found that I couldn't climb the next hill. and sure enough, my spotter tells me that my back wheels aren't turning. so I got towed out, jacked up the front end, put it in 4lo, and in gear and watched the cup spin, and not the axle...:banghead:. AND we were there for such a short time, we didn't even use my camcorder, but got some video with my digi.

but we had a blast! a couple of the jeep guys had a hard time seeing these station wagons go places their jeeps were going, and not have any trouble. if we had lower gearing, and wider tires, we would've been serious competition!

I'm still not home, so I don't have a way to get the pics/vid off of my camera, but tomorrow I should be able to. so check back in the afternoon!

What brand lift is in Morgans car ? I am assuming thats the comparision your talking about......

I have the original BYB lift before the Ozified revised BYB lift. I kinda figured it was just that crappy Napa re-maned axle. But after blowing a stock Subaru one also I'm not so sure now... I've yet to brake an axle with my BYB lift and seriouse offroading. I have swapped them out due to torn boots but never blown out a CV, DOJ, or stub.

Yes... I had to pick Chux balls up off the trail. Oh and Dave stepped on his balls before I picked them up. :rolleyes: However Chux accidently got Dave back for that! As Chux was trying to back off the obsticle in 2WD he spun a tire and just piled dirt up onto Dave. I told Dave he asked for it! :lol:

when my diff fell out on the highway and i had to removi it off the side of the road, the doj was seized to the diff so i separated the doj end from the diff to remove the diff

i go to the outer ends of the axles to do the same and they are CV JOINTS?:confused: anyway i put another 200 miles on the car with the axles dagling, mildly suspended horizontally across a sling of coat hanger, untill i chopped them off with an angle grinder. what a waste of axlesa but i had to do it(seized stubs and pins)

anyway these axles were from an 87 gl wagon, the carbureted 4wd 5spd version

Numbchux and myself made $500 for the MS society in pledges of sponsorship for the event.

I think that rocks! I think it totally out weighs the fact that Chux blew a couple of axles.

For the record, we blew up a stub axle in the rear of Ken's Brat when we hit the Rubicon. (Ken has a BYB kit)

I think that rocks! I think it totally out weighs the fact that Chux blew a couple of axles.

For the record, we blew up a stub axle in the rear of Ken's Brat when we hit the Rubicon. (Ken has a BYB kit)

Yea, it was awesome, the whole event raised more than 20 grand!!!

about the axles...my '85 has dual DOJ rear axles, and my '88 has outer CV's...didn't know they'd be different, that's why I went with a 'new' napa one for the right car, instead of one off the parts car.

wish i coulda made it, my tranny stoped shifting smoothly the day before we would have left. i think it was afraid of the mud again...

i've never broken a rear axle, and i do some crazy stuff on the street, with my big tires, and big motor.

chux, just imagine if you had a welded rear :-\

The subies beat through some pretty tough stuff on SAT , I was amazed that we made it through some of the first few obstacles we encountered!! The crowd up at the OHV park is a cool bunch of people. As someone who only recently got into subies and off-roading in general , i've never learned so much in one weekend.

Even though our ride was cut short on Sunday , we still had fun...chux was a little disappointed about not re-assembling the axle on the trail (btw , thanks,Morgan!) but we still took some sweet video that you all should be able to see soon.

-Sarah

Finall assesment of carnage on Poopenvagen found here:

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul04_craw4cure/carnage/

Highlights:

Firstly; what it was all about; helping fight MS!

carnage_crawl4cure_031.jpg

Unibody folded a bit and angled back both lift blocks and both bottom brackets were dented from falling onto and sliding over big rocks.

carnage_crawl4cure_007.jpg

An already open wound in the unibody just recieved a pounding and slide accross.

carnage_crawl4cure_011.jpg

Whats worst about the rocks in the Iron Range offroad park isnt their size; its that they break off in jagged formations. Side walls get sliced like butter on crappy tires. People lost 2 tires in the first rock trench and another side wall later in the day before lunch. The Liberator ATs held up well.... I <3 WAL-MART

carnage_crawl4cure_021.jpg

All four tires are like this... even some on the indside edges!

carnage_crawl4cure_022.jpg

Bent the skid plate in 2 places on drivers side:

carnage_crawl4cure_017.jpg

Came down and slid on a rock folding that last lip back flat and sliding up along the bumper:

carnage_crawl4cure_024.jpg

I dunno what it is with me and trees... guess I favor hugging trees with this side; eh McBrat? :brow: Same spot we had to push on in Castana

carnage_crawl4cure_028.jpg

I have a small amount of VHS footage. Was hoping to get alot more but the darn battery wouldnt hold a charge so it all had to be shot in Chux wagon, with the AC power adapter, into the DC/AC power inverter, plugged into the lighter socket.... :drunk: Pretty sure Chux got some footage on his digi cam.

who is that using the Good Year Ultra Grip snow tires?

there are better and cheaper snow tires for offroading

let me direct you to my signature...and no, I doubt there's anything cheaper than I got these, they came off my uncle's astrovan before his company sold it. I payed to have them mounted. and they do awesome in virtually every condition I've had them in, save probably my buddies swamp, which just caked up the tread on another buddies real live super swampers!

I dunno what it is with me and trees... guess I favor hugging trees with this side; eh McBrat? :brow: Same spot we had to push on in Castana

carnage_crawl4cure_028.jpg

looks like you got a little more pressure on the door this time :)

I finally got my trim back on :brow: after a little pounding....

made a new animated avatar of me in the rock gorge. would be longer but i had to keep it below 20kb. just a teaser before I post the 10mb video clips later tonight.

It has been brought to my attention that it was playing too fast and made people go into seisures so I slowed it down a little :-p

my mother has had MS for a few years now, she found out right after she got done with chemo for her breast cancer... and I must say that there is almost nothing that makes me happier than you fellows going out and busting up your subarus in the name of raising money for a cure.

my hat is off. :drunk:

and I'd also like to thank all the poor guys driving jeeps.. I drive one every day and I know how hard it is :lol:

Thanks for passing that on Operose. That's really what it was all about and makes it worth doing for years to come!

============================

Here's some video clips:

MorganM in the Rock Gorge

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul04_craw4cure/morganm_rock_gorge_01.AVI

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul04_craw4cure/morganm_rock_gorge_02.AVI

Chux on Attitude Alley

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul04_craw4cure/numbchux_attitute_alley.AVI

I wish we had offroad events here in montana. Great videos. Keep it up:banana: . to bad the video didn't show you going over the big rock. Did you? Also what happened when chux couldn't get over that last hill?