Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEWBIE...need '99 Legacy GT advice

HELLO...

I have a 99 legacy GT w/ 130k miles. The car overheated (pinned temp gauge) and stalled. I let it cool, it cranked over slowley and started but the temp shot up pretty quickly so I shut it down. The fans were working and the rad was full. I got the car towed to the dealership (it was close by). They said at the very least I've probably got head gasket problems, if not a cracked head.

SO...I was going to be looking into buying a new car anyway so here's where I need the adivce. What to do with the legacy? Do I swap motors (I should be able to do the swap my shelf), do I sell it as is or part it out? What's the demand for parts on these things? Does anyone want it??? I'm located in NY. Anyone have connections to get a new motor? There's one on ebay for $1650 (comes with 30k warrenty).

FYI...car is stock w/ 5spd and of coarse I recently put new tires and brakes on it.

THANKS

mike

Did you know it was overheating and it just stalled, or did you not realize it overheated until it stalled? It doesn't take long for the gauge to max out if there is a head gasket problem. If it wasn't run long overheated I wouldn't think the head would be cracked.

Keith

I noticed it was pinging a little and I looked down and the temp gauge was pinned. I went to pull over and by the time I stopped, the car stalled.

The moron at the dealer just said the head was probably cracked. When I told him that the the radiator was full and the fans were both working, he said he didn't know why it would overheat :banghead: and I said well couldn't it be a waterpump or even a t-stat and he said oh, yeah I guess...what a moron. AND they're even going to charge me for an hour diagnostic fee...for what I don't know.:-\

I'm gonna get the car home and hopefully figure out why it happened and take it from there. I bet it's just the thermostat.

my 99 Legacy GT did the same thing (DOHC)

h.g. failure and cyl #4 cracked/gone

replaced the entire shortblock

best thing to do is just get it fixed now, before it gets worse

i can nearly 100% guarantee you you've got bad h.g.

what other issues you will find? i cant say.

but keep driving the car, and it will worsen :(

Jamie

RallyKeith: honestly...it's my wife's car, I'm not sure, but I think it's a DOHC. I should have the car back tonight so I'll take a look.

Subie Gal: how much was it for the shortblock? I'm not going to dump too much $$ in the car...if anything I'll just swap in a used motor if I can find one...or just part it out if it looks like there's some engine damage.

RallyKeith: honestly...it's my wife's car, I'm not sure, but I think it's a DOHC. I should have the car back tonight so I'll take a look.

Subie Gal: how much was it for the shortblock? I'm not going to dump too much $$ in the car...if anything I'll just swap in a used motor if I can find one...or just part it out if it looks like there's some engine damage.

Ok, I couldn't remember for sure, but if Subie gals 99 is DOHC then yours should be as well. I think it was only the Impreza and the Forester that got the SOHC motor in 99. That being the case the DOHCs are bad with doing this. I bought a car that had a blown head gasket that wasn't so obvious, and I don't know how long the previous owner drove it that way. I got lucky and there were no cracks, but the heads were warped and had to be machined. You never know what you're going to get, but driving it will defenitley lead to more damage.

Keith

i was lucky

mine expired at 56k and was fixed under warranty

a new shortblock will run around $1600. - $1700. - that's just for the block

Really, you need to get the car inspected for specific damages

if it's just head gaskets, well maybe $1200 - $2000 (parts and labor)

and you'll be back on the road

DOHC's are found in many early 99 model FORESTER, LEGACY & IMPREZA

it was mid year before subaru switched to SOHC

good luck

Jamie

OK....got the thing home. I think it's a DOHC, I know it's a 2.5L (the build date is 4/99 so going by what Subie Gal said, it's a DOHC). The coolent in the overflow is milkey looking, so I'm assuming it's at least a head gasket if not worse. It still runs, I had it running for about 15 minutes and the temp was just starting to creep up.

Anyone want to buy it??? What do you think it's worth? It's got all the options (except leather), body is in good shape except for your chips and scratches that normally appear on a car with 130K miles. If I can't get more than 1,500 I'll part it out on e-bay.:-\

You said you were in NY, where in NY?

Buffalo area?

I had trouble with BOTH Buffalo area Subaru dealers.

I have no trust in them anymore. So I get work done elsewhere, or do it myself.

I don't know much about the 2.5s but mine is a 2.2, I paid $1200 for a motor with only 88 miles on it at Vinces Junkyard in this area. Of course that was 4 years ago. They get cars used in crash testing, so has some low mileage stuff.

swi66

yeah, i have the 2.5 sittin here.. beings i have done 3 swaps on these late 90's 2.5 cars i know thier symptoms when they blow a head gasket or crack something..

this engine i have never had any of those symptoms, it was just loosing AF.. you could smell it from under the hood too.. it never steamed, never overheated, and the radiator/overflow tank was clean as a whip when i pulled the motor out..

the previous owner drove it right up till it started using AF. then he took it to a shop and a shop said it had a "bad headgasket cause they all do" so he wanted it either replaced or changed.. i didn't ask any questions, i just swapped the motor for him..

i did drive his outback a little before i pulled the 2.5.. it didn't miss or have any lack of power, no steam out the tailpipe and the overflow tank wasn't filling up... hell it peeled out in the gravel driveway when i stomped on it, and it as automatic..

after i did the 2.2L engine swap i drove the car about 110 miles back to his place and when i got there i smelled antifreeze, so i checked and the little air bleeder inline in the heater hose was leaking.. so obviously this problem was there before i did the swap.. thats what makes me think this 2.5 is a good engine and the heater hose was leaking..

at anyrate i just need to get it out of my way.. i obviously can't ship a complete engine either.. i'm thinkin $300 OBO for the motor.. if ya have room i also have my 99' 2.5 pieces you can have also.. good heads, cams, intake, etc.. i threw that block away this morning cause it was cracked.

or if you can get it to my place i'll trade ya my 86 wagon for it :)