Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid weird flooding/dieing problem

I'm not too sure what the hell is happening here. My 87 EA81 GL Wagon seems to run okay for a few weeks and then starts doing this weird hitchy loss of power thing at random as I drive down the road. It seems to me like I'm losing spark- the engine cranks fine and I still get compression when I downshift and doing so sometimes will bring her back to life. If that doesn't work, she'll usually fire back up after a pretty hard start. I figured it seemed like the motor was getting flooded, so I tweaked with the carb (hitachi) a little and all seemed well. This morning I filled the fuel tank and the problem resurrected itself. I don't know if the two events are connected, but I can't help being suspicious.

Anybody got any ideas?

Not sure if 87 hitachi's are the same as 81 hitachi's but check your anti diesel valve for operation. This has been known to go out and cause some idle/starting/driving problems.

The valve is an out of place looking haxagonal electricle valve sticking out of your carb at a 45 deg angle to the front of the car. It has one wire comeing out of it. When this wire is touched to pos the valve will open allowing fuel in (should click). Usually they get stuck in the closed position and your car doesn't get any fuel. Good luck