Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Considering purchase of '98 Legacy L

118K, $4695.

Terrified of the Head Gasket going. Seller won't come down anymore, even after acknowledging 50/50 chance of gasket failure.

Water pump and timing belt *just* replaced. Does not overheat.

Could water pump failure be result of/lead to head gasket failure?

My thinking is that it is almost a sure thing that it will go--and for that price, an additional 1200+ isn't worth it. But it appears to be in such great shape otherwise...

The Legacy L should have a 2.2 liter motor. This is Subarus diehard motor and should last up to 300k if properly taken care of.

The 2.5 Liter available in the Outback, GT and 98 Forester is the one known for Headgasket failure.

Waterpump failure is not a sign of bad headgasket. Most people replace the waterpump around 120k mark with the timing belt because of age rather than failure, though I have seen them go bad. Waterpumps can go bad in two ways. 1) the bearing can start making noise 2) they can start to leak.

Good luck with your purchase.

I can only re-iterate what everyone else has said. My '96L 2.2 refuses to die. It seems like every 3rd car here in vermont is a 2nd generation legacy of some kind.

If you are super-concerned about the engine, have a mechanic look over it with a fine toothed comb. Do a compression test, check for leaks everywhere.

Make sure the guy who did the timing belt & h2o pump wasn't a baboon.

See if the car has the original alternator, i think that it may have been subject to the recall (not sure), so you can get it replaced on subaru's dime if it hasn't been.

I can sing the praises of the 2.2 as well. My '92 has 250K on it and I would keep going if not for rust and a failing tranny.

I may have the model wrong b/c I am almost positive it's the 2.5 in this car. I am buying from afar through my father b/c Subie's sell about 30 seconds after the ad is placed here in Portland, ME.

Anyway, I've had him do several test drives and look under the hood. From the description it doesn't sound like the motor in my car and he read back EJ25 to me.

The place selling it is the same place I got my '92, back in '98, and they did the timing belt and water pump.

Perhaps it is an Outback? He says the liftgate says Legacy L on it though.

'98 L wagon had a few "attributes" that were annoying to me:

Tranny "rumble" in Drive while stopped at light. Tech always told me it was a "normal attribute for this model".

Piston slapping noise which gets progressively worse and is alarming at cold start up - something about short cylinder sleeves. Again "Normal attribute for this model."

Window washers clogged. Probably a way to prevent this. Check BOTH before you buy.

Ignition relay/switch failure at 70,000 miles. Would turn the key four or more times, "Click" "Click" "Click" "Click" , then car would start with 3,000 RPM idle. Finally starter stuck engaged, even with the key out! Fastest 10mm wrench hunt in the history of the world to disconnect battery.

Also four recalls for this car:

Alternator fails. Mine went at 32,000 miles/39 months and Subie service manager told me I was out of warrenty. Had to fight to get it under warrenty.Three weeks later the recall hit my mail box.

Rear differential boot/seal failure would allow oil to drip on exhaust. Monkeys at Jiffylube noticed that one at about 18,000 miles. Again, three weeks later the recall hit my mail box.

Master brake cylinder failure in sub-zero temps.

Automatic shift-linkage would allow slip from drive to reverse without pressing thumb button. Noticed mine could still be made to slip even after the recall work. Showed Subie tech, but he wasn't impressed. Check yours.

Other than that, the car was great. Lots of power when I played a tune on the tranny using the gas pedal - it was very predictable. A little low on ground clearance, but more wheel-well room than the Outback so that I could actually use cable chains. You do know that you're not supposed to use ANY traction devices on a Subaru, don't you?

Juan