Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turbo rebuild kits?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:23 AM

Hello all. I was interested in possibly rebuilding my turbo. Is this a better alternative to buying a new/used one? If so, anyone have one. For my 1987 GL-10 (EA-82t)

#2 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

First off we need to see what turbo you have...I believe that that engine has a IHI turbo.Check out the website of TEC here in Golden,Co.They do some cool fab work as well as turbo rebuilding/overhaul.They also can build custom intercoolers.

http://www.turboengineering.com/

#3 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:58 AM

your turbo will be a rbh5 vf4 through vf7. doesnt seem to be anything different between the vf4 and 7...i do beleive they are the same turbos. i am wondering if maybe the vf4 was the turbo for the auto tranny cars and the vf7 was for the 5 spd. but thats just a theory.

#4 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

I reccomend just grabbing a used one from somewhere, they can be a real bugger to pull apart. A good conditon used one can be had for less than a rebuild kit with less screwin around too.

#5 tizzle

tizzle

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

I tried to pull both of mine apart, and there were these tiny screws that would not come out, and pretty much got stripped.

#6 toybuilder

toybuilder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

Hello all. I was interested in possibly rebuilding my turbo. Is this a better alternative to buying a new/used one? If so, anyone have one. For my 1987 GL-10 (EA-82t)

Another alternative is to replace just the center section with a rebuilt unit. You can get them from www.turbocity.com. Cost is around $350 IIRC. You just have to remove the compressor and turbine housings from your old turbo and bolt them onto the new center section. It worked out nicely for me, less work than rebuilding it myself and quite a bit cheaper than a new turbo.

#7 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:12 AM

your turbo will be a rbh5 vf4 through vf7. doesnt seem to be anything different between the vf4 and 7...i do beleive they are the same turbos. i am wondering if maybe the vf4 was the turbo for the auto tranny cars and the vf7 was for the 5 spd. but thats just a theory.

the turbo off my 3 door parts car was an rbh5 and it was a 5mt with d/r iirc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users