Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New owner of 96 outback impreza gt 2.2 liter looking for mods

I have purchased a 96 outback impreza gt. I love the car, its in good shape and seems to be a good runner with 140,000 miles.

Im wondering what the towing weight is for these things?

Where is a good cheap place to buy new / used parts for these?

Where a good place to buy performance parts for the 2.2 liter?

With 140,000 miles on the car im wondering how long these engines last?

where can I get a lift kit?

can you somehow turn these things into 2wd by pulling a fuse or something??

Thanks

Ryan K

lift kit, try scorpion automotive. australian company, look up renickmotorsports.com for that. perfomance parts for the 2.2, you wont find any, instead look for some small things for the 2.5 such as intakes and catback exhaust. borla does make a header for the 2.2. why do you want 2wd? awd is better, but i think there is a fuse in the engine bay you can pull? not possitive on that one.

Is it auto or manual? Do you have the owners manual? (if not call jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com )

The 4eat autotrannies have a fuse box under the hood. There is an empty position there that you put a spare fuse (15amp IIRC) into to disable AWD (FWD only) but it really isn't designed for long term use. maybe days-weeks would be OK, a year is probably not gonna be OK. It supplies a constant 12V to the duty soenoid 'C' which is normally getting pulses.(again IIRC)

as said, the mods for the 2.2 are more like, reducing wheel, pulley or flywheel weight, or intake/exhasut mods. Some of these will shift torque curves while adding a few ponies but it is gonna be difficult to get more than about 10-12% more hp without doing some changes internally. Or an engine swap for a turbo'ed plant. lots of tuners over at www.nasioc.com

I'd suggest lighter wheels and maybe some other suspension mods to increase the fun factor - forget about drag racing (except in the rain where you will OWN the other cars!)

Carl

Lucky texan

I have a 5 speed manual. Thanks for all the info...

Do you or anyone know how much weight you can pull with these things??

I have a GTP that I drag race and whenever I need a stock oem part Ive always call a place called edmorad parts which just sells grand prix parts. Is there a place that just sell subaru parts?

Thanks

Ryan K

Lucky texan

I have a 5 speed manual. Thanks for all the info...

Do you or anyone know how much weight you can pull with these things??

I have a GTP that I drag race and whenever I need a stock oem part Ive always call a place called edmorad parts which just sells grand prix parts. Is there a place that just sell subaru parts?

Thanks

Ryan K

In addition to a few sports parts sold through the dealerships (try jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com - she also races! www.subiegal.com i think)

there are many places for parts and info for modding/tuning. You could learn a LOT by using the search engines and reading for hours bith here and over at www.nasioc.com .

I just ordered a muffler from www.boxer4racing.com for my WRX that hasn't even been delivered to the dealer yet! a good place to start shopping for tires wheels might be www.tirerack.com . www.scoobymods.com would be fun to poke around in. http://www.kastleskorner.com/store/index.php has been around a long time. Most of the forums have links to vendors.

have fun!

Carl