Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback Headlights Always On

Like safety belts and Airbags, DRL's are an essential part of the safety package, too many accidents occur at dusk and dawn, when most people think they don't need their lights. over the life of the vehicle you are replacing the bulbs an extra 3 times, so is 40 bucks worth the extra safety over 10 years, i sure think so.

Safety, worth every penny, i'd rather have rug burn from a seatbelt then a windshield necklace, but then again, i'd rather be seen so i don't have rugburn.

I've driven with my headlights on during the day time ever since I had a silver '79 Cutlass that just wasn't very visible, especially on grey Seattle days.

I just had a look around that lightsout.org website. What a load of hooey. I've never once felt blinded by someone's headlights during the daytime, though I can see why they're annoyed by some manufacturers using the high beams as daytime running lights. If they're worried about being blinded by headlights during the daytime, they definitely shouldn't be allowed to drive at night.

I've driven with my headlights on during the day time ever since I had a silver '79 Cutlass that just wasn't very visible, especially on grey Seattle days.

I just had a look around that lightsout.org website. What a load of hooey. I've never once felt blinded by someone's headlights during the daytime, though I can see why they're annoyed by some manufacturers using the high beams as daytime running lights. If they're worried about being blinded by headlights during the daytime, they definitely shouldn't be allowed to drive at night.

I highly disagree with ShamanDave! Just the other day I had a motorcycle following me for about 10 miles with three (thats right, three) lights on the front of his bike. I don't know if he purposely had his highbeams on or if it was by design but it was 12:00 noon and by 12:10pm I had a migrain. I so felt like getting out of my car and beating the ************ out of him.

I would have changed my rearview to the night mode but as I have the auto-dimming mirror there is no switch to do it manually and the auto dimming feature does not work unless it is dark outside. This is a major Duh on the part of Subaru, I should have been able to darken my mirror manually.

I would have changed my rearview to the night mode but as I have the auto-dimming mirror there is no switch to do it manually and the auto dimming feature does not work unless it is dark outside. This is a major Duh on the part of Subaru, I should have been able to darken my mirror manually.

I'm with you on this one. Big duh on Subie's part. Mine stopped functioning, and a new cost around $165 from the dealer.

if you take the mirror and tilt it up (just like a manual mirror does when you have the little lever) it would darken it for you....and I thought I was lazy. :rolleyes:

Dooh! I guess I never thought of trying that. Thanks.

I'll have to appologize the the Subie guys for my "Duh" comment!

I belive MY00 thru MY04 Subaru's DRL use the low beams at about 50-60% power. Not the high beam bulb. Not sure about the MY05 with the projector bulbs.

That would make sense with the brighter headlights of the last few years.

as far as letting dead horses lie, sometimes you just got to poke things with a stick :)

I highly disagree with ShamanDave! Just the other day I had a motorcycle following me for about 10 miles with three (thats right, three) lights on the front of his bike. I don't know if he purposely had his highbeams on or if it was by design but it was 12:00 noon and by 12:10pm I had a migrain. I so felt like getting out of my car and beating the ************ out of him.

$10 says that guy doesnt die from being hit by someone "not seeing him". I just sold my bike, but for the 5 years I rode, during the day I always had my highbeams on.

I am FOR DRL, but since it is not a law in the US, organizations like lightsout.org are around. Since 1985 (a GL wagon), I have driven with my lights on all the time.

You can find your answer there:

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Subaru

Is that group for real?!?!?!

That's the most absurb group of complainers that have seen in a long time. We've have daytime running lights in Canada for at least 15 years and NONE of their complaints are valid. If you find the lights bright and annoying, how do you drive at night?

What really annoys them is someone brought in a rule they don't like.

I just got my annual insurance renewal packet. My company gives me a $31.69/yr discount for having a car with DRL's. It's been 3 years and I haven't had to replace a bulb yet, but I'm pretty sure the $95 I have saved over that time will cover the cost :-)

Not to mention the saving of your life because you are a lot more visable. . .

I have used my headlights full time for years now, and I used to ride a motorcycle ( where Full Time Headlights have been the law for years). One of the things I love about my Subie is that the headlights turn off with the ignition, so I never have to think about turning them on or off. . .I leave them on all the time. . .

I've never replaced a headlight on my 96 subie outback, yet. I've never shut the lights off, so that's about 140,000 miles on the origional set of bulbs. Therefore, the whole "it will cost me to run the headlights" bit is stupid. Did you see the comment on the site about saving $5-$15 a year on gas. Ha. I'll make that up in a month the way gas prices are.

Now, if anyone want's to gripe about a subie problem, it should be about the foglights on the 96-99 outbacks. The stupid things keep breaking from little rocks. The plasic grating on them doesn't help at all. The kicker is, if you break one, you have to replace the whole thing. Two people make a profit on this, Subaru, and the guy selling them for $100 on ebay. Anyone jerry-rigged a better foglight protector?