Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brake Squeal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 21 September 2003 - 04:14 PM

Ok, so I replaced the pads on my 97 Legacy with OEM, used the new shims and grease, and my brakes now squeal like a stuck pig when warm.

It is only on the left side. I have taken it apart and regreased them, and they still squeal.

Once they get warm and start squealing the noise stops with the whell turned to either side or when there is more than moderate pressure on the brakes.

Any other ideas?

#2 jcniest5

jcniest5

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • The Twin Cities

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:51 PM

Mine is not new, but it just started squealing about a month ago and now it's very noticeable. I thought the brake has worn out and went out and bought new brake pads for it. However, after taking off the tires, I found out that non of my brake are worn out. They still have 3/4 (if not more) of thickness of a new brake pads. It also makes the noise when the brake/caliber get hot (like after driving on stop/go for awhile). I have no ideas what to look for either. :argue:

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:10 AM

Hmm, maybe it's the OE pads. I would recommend using Mintex replacement pads.

Also, make sure both of the caliper "runners" are greased too.

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:47 AM

anti squeal to the back of your pads? Most any auto parts store sells it.
It will help in many cases, but I have seen very stubborn cases that only responded to turning the rotors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users