Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got my subie back from the tranny shop

the flexplate broke about a month ago. Actually it never completely broke but it was getting there. Now I have a new issue: my car doesnt like to start. It's not the starter itself, that's doing just fine but it's acting like it has a fuel pressure problem, I have to give it a lil gas before it'll start and my idle yet again is off. Right now it's sitting lower than it should be and I'm still running around a grand at idle (when warm) Im not sure if this was from it basically sitting for 2-3 weeks til I got it into the shop or what. Now I do know this, the mechanic that did my tranny work went ahead and replaced 2 rear seals on the motor I would have had to pull the tranny off to get to since those were leaking and filled the oil back up a lil too high, it's sitting about 1/2 qt over. No overheating (well unless I use a/c, one of my fans crapped out and Im still trying to fix the more important things before this since I can roll my windows down) no burning oil or anything. I'm planning to do my oil change on fri (since I literally put my entire check into getting my car out from the shop) been babying the hell out of it since I wanna break in the parts I just bought not blow them up. I checked the fuel and vaccum lines and cant find anything wrong, so my next guess is either the air or fuel filter. Any ideas? I dont have any problems once it's started it's just the inital startup.

oh BTW the CEL is on, I was thinking it was from the tranny issue but it hasnt gone away and from what Ive read it shouldve reset itself when the battery was disconnected so Im not sure yet, everytime I try to get my kid down for a nap so I can look for the wires i need to connect she never does and I cant do it in the dark

CEL is liking causing your issues.

read the code it's giving you. it could be any number of codes. i can almost promise it's not fuel related as you suspect but aside from that it's all guesswork until you read the code. trans work should not make the light come on.

i would guess the coolant temperature sensor first. usually the contacts are dirty...sitting awhile can make them worse. pull the plug and inspect the contacts on the harness clip and the sensor itself. clean it all up. a new sensor will only delay the problem for a couple months if the connector is still corroded. i hacked the connector off and soldered it directly to the sensor as a permanent solution.

read the code(s) and post back.

How many miles sare on the car? How long since last fuel filter change they are REAL easy to replace in Roo's. A Screw driver is ALL you need! Do it just because it might be the problem, I do! Have you ran it out or low on gas lately, could have burned up the fuel pump!

I pulled the codes today, 24 and 42, both are air related (one's air control valve and the other is idle switch signal) I have a feeling the valve solenoid is faulty and has been for a while since I had intake issues almost the entire time i had it and it just now caused the CEL to turn on. Pretty sure the switch signal is my doing since I adjusted it so it'd idle where it should, was fine for a few months. The light was on before I put my car in the shop btw, the same day the flexplate started making horrible noises on my way home from pull a part (for a diff car) my car pretty much sat for about 2 weeks (used it once cuz I was desperate and late for work)

and there's LOTS of miles on my car. currently 264800 (give or take <10 miles) but I did find out the tranny has been rebuilt for sure within the last 2 yrs and the motor probably has too, Ive found markings that'd indicate at least the top end (erm...sides...the heads and intake system at the very least) has been. Ive put 34k mi on it since I bought it at the very end of december. Im thinking it's time to change all the filters in it I can get to.

New question: Once my car's been driven for a while it shifts oddly. I only notice this between 3rd and 4th, it doesnt like coasting in 4th (remember freeway driving!) it feels like Im driving a manual going 70 in 4th instead of 5th, that immediate slowdown/slight jerking thing (anyone got an idea what I'm talking about? lol) Kinda feels like its shifting a lil too soon as far as city driving goes as well. The tranny shop did check my tranny out to make sure nothing else was damaged and he said he couldnt find anything so Im wondering if this can be fixed by adjusting the bands?