Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A big, long, scary 2000 mile trip.

On September 2 at around 8:00 PM I'll leave Medford, OR headed to a ranch in Antimony, UT (recently featured on Jay Leno). There are several ways to get there; Mapquest suggests Going through Reno, then SLC, on to Antimony. I've been a passenger on this route maybe 5 times and I know it's a lot of long, straight, hot roads. I would rather to go to Reno, then Black Rock, then Antimony, but I've never taken that route. Does anybody know those roads well? I'd like to stay in the 55mph zones as much as possible because 2500RPM is nicer that 3500. I'm doing this on an extremely tight budget, I can't bring many spare parts, but this is probably the last time my whole family will get together (we've outgrown the ranch) so I'm bent on getting there. Cross your fingers and wish me luck! Also, my stubborn pride prohibits me from asking for a bail-out if I break down, but an offer for a little help is never refused.

Well, from Medford I would suggest taking I-5 to Shasta and cut off of Hwy 89. That will take you to 44 then 36 to Susanville. At Susanville hop onto 395 to Reno. I've driven that route many times.

Look like you can take 66 from Medford through Klamath Falls. I've been that way too. Very scenic!

If you happen to have car problems in Reno there are a few of us on the board that can lend a hand.

I appreciate the responds, guys. That's one thing I like about the USMB. Big, friendly community (usually). Unfortunately, I don't have enough time off to make stops in Reno and the Grand Canyon like I originally planned, although I would like to tour the country someday meeting fellow USMBers. I don't expect to have any trouble with the Sub, just wanted some kind of back up plan.

Reno, then SLC, antimony. http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=&1c=medford&1s=or&1z=&2a=&2c=antimony&2s=ut&2z=Surprised that many people here have actually heard of Antimony. Only $3.10? Wow! I was going to get gas tomorrow morning, but decided to get it tonight, because my uncle, who is in touch with truckers, says it's going to go up $0.12 tomorrow because of that refinery that got wiped out. I went to a gas station. The dialouge went: "We only got super" "Well, do I pay the super cost?" "Uh... yeah" "See you later then" Yikes! Good thing I got paid today. I don't watch the news and today was the first I'd heard of the massive flood. Holy crap, this is like 9/11 scale stuff. There was a dead guy on the side of the freeway and the cops were passing him because they were trying to save the saveable.

All right, I'm back! I saw a light blue wagon in a dirt driveway in CA or NV (can't remember if it was EA81 or 82 or what city) but I could swear it belonged to a board member. I did some prety fun trail driving/creek crossing (with 5 passengers and luggage) between Bryce Canyon and Antimony. Saw some VW powered buggies with surprised-looking drivers. Well, after a few hours I got tired of driving 55 and ended up doing 70-75 most of the way. I actually paid less for gas everywhere along the way that I do at home! Got home, washed the car since I did some donuts on the salt flats (nobody told me there was mud under the salt!) didn't have any problems except for having to add 1qt of oil. I love my Suby. It rocks.

• 7 months later...

I know it's 9 months old, but it's my thread! Thinking back I realize that this was one of the best memories of my life. I actually did pass through Reno twice with a few spare hours and wanted to meet Jibs but had no internet connection. I've gotta get another comfy Loyale so I can do this again. And I urge anyone who has never been to Bryce Canyon to see it whenever you can, it's freakin amazing (plus good spots on public land to wheel are everywhere)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey now Subieman, Jibs made a point to ask.;) I think it would be rad to meet as many USMBers as possible. I wasn't planning to go to WCSS8 due to my move to AZ, but..... unfortunately I had to choose between the desert and my favorite girl in the whole world, and you know how that goes so it looks like I'll be staying in the PNW. I still want to travel all over the country and Australia in BMWs and grease burning MBs and Soobs though. Effin west Colorado, south Canada and north Mexico are the furthest places I've ever been.