Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust sputtering on 95 Legacy

When I started my 95 Legacy this morning, the engine was kind of sputtering. In idle, the exhaust would be fine for about 10 seconds then sputter, and then be fine again and sputter again. Over the weekend, I completed changing the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter and pcv. I had no problems from the weekend change up to this morning. It rained last night and was very damp this morning, if that helps any. There was no CEL light, and after a short drive to the post office (2 miles), everything was okay when I restarted the car. I drove to work and the sputtering was gone. I'll have to see if it does the same thing when I'm ready to go home, but does anyone have any idea?

Thanx,

Pete

Well, with the moisture added in to the picture I'd say this is a high voltage problem. Wires or cracked coil pack or something. Sometimes, with the car running at night, hood up, you can see the sparking/arcing around the wires/boots/coilpack(so i've read - never tried it). If not, try spraying a squirt bottle of water around - forst one side, then the other to try to pinpoint the problem.

could be something else though. Do you get a CEL?

Carl

If you took the washer tank off to change the plug you may have got a little water down in one of the cyclinder holes when you were putting it back on. It happen to me once. After driving it you may have dried it off. Also could be one of your new wires bad.

The car started up and purred like a kitten today. There were no issues at all and it ran very well. So, I guess I have to wait for the next rainy day before I can try anything. Is there a way to check to physically check the wires or is spraying water the only way?

Also, is it easy to replace the coil pack? How much does the unit run?

Thanx,

Pete