Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie Questions

Hey Guys. :wave: I'm new here since I just purchased an '88 GL Wagon AWD 5-spd with the EA82T. I've done some research so far as to what's available for these cars, but still have some unanswered questions. I wanted to know what other Suby I can cross-referance parts from in order to borrow performance items. I don't see anything for GL's on most of the sites I go to. For instance, will brake parts from a '90 Loyale work? What newer cars have the same flywheel bolt pattern in order to upgrade the clutch? Something that has aluminum flywheels available would be nice. Any other info you can offer up would be helpful. Thanks again guys. I look forward to getting to know you.

hey dsmracer. Nice to see you've joined our message board. As for upgrade parts, the clutch from a XT6 will work in your 88 GL. Its lighter and its bigger than the one in there. Since your tranny is Full Time 4 Wheel Drive, you can swap the tranny out for a dual range RX 5-speed tranny. You'll have the joys of have a 4 low and a 4 high and taller gears since its out of a more sportier car. As for the brake pads from a 90 loayle, yes they will fit. If you need anything else answered, just ask anybody, someone will know. Welcome again:banana: :headbang:

Diamond Star, welcome to the Pleiades Constellation.

The RX ten speed tranny is a direct swap into your GL - console will need changed to fit the hi/lo lever and center diff lock switch.

This tranny gives you almost a half gear in between your normal five speeds.

Never heard of an Al flywheel, we do trim 6 or 7 lbs of fat off ours.

The XT6 flywheel is a bit lighter, as Caboobaroo said

If you are lucky enough to find a RX in a bone yard grab the rear diff also (it's a LSD unit) Do make sure your rear diff is the same ratio - should be a 3.7 (label on diff)

Enkei sold a few alloy rims for our cars, not sure of the offset

there is not a lot of preformance eq for our cars, as you have found out.

Have a look here for some ideas

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4368

Welcome aboard THE vintage Subaru board