Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

up and down hills with the manual shift(automatic)?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zephyr

Zephyr

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Kansas City, Kansas USA

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:44 AM

I like the manual shift setting of my automitic transmission in my 05, however I am interested to know how it is going to perform when going over large hills and mountains. (I live in the flat praries of Kansas and have yet to get it out of state)

Usual inclination when going up or down hill would be to throw the transmission into 3rd. However with the manual shift, I don't know how long it will hold that gear until the automatic takes over again and shifts into 4th. Is it going to be the same problem going downhill as well?

When flipping through the manual, I was expecting to see directions on driving in third gear when going up hill. Instead, it tells me to careful adjust accelerator position so the transmission doesn't constantly switch between 3rd and 4th :-\ - not the elegant solution I was looking for. Downhill I haven't found any information in the manual yet.

What experiences have you all had?

(I was excited to get rid of the "2" and "3" positions of a traditional automatic for the sport/manual shift of this automatic, but now this scenario has me wondering.)

#2 Juan

Juan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:36 PM

The tranny stays in third gear, or any manually selected gear, UNTIL you slow to a stop. In fact, the tranny ALWAYS shifts down into first as you come to a near/full stop and stays there until you manually take it back on up.

Revved the crap out of mine in stop-and-go traffic one day because I thought it was still in second - uh-uh. It had shifted into first. I sure miss the old '98.

Juan

#3 Zephyr

Zephyr

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Kansas City, Kansas USA

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

I'm actually wondering about it auto shifting to 4th when picking up speed downhill.

#4 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:08 PM

In "3", it'll function the same as when in "4" (fully automatic), except that it won't go into 4th or lockup, up or downhill.

"2" on the other hand will start in 2nd and stay in second.

#5 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:42 AM

I know the auto will override the shifter if you redline the engine in 1st, it will go into 2nd at that point. So I would think you need a WOT to have it override the shifter. It should stay in 3rd going down hill no matter what, otherwise there could be saftey issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users